TAV 30 belt cover question

KB2ROCKET

I have a TAV 30 the one with the cast back plate
and I noticed that the holes to mount the belt cover are not tapped is this the way they all are? does it use self tapping bolts?

The cover on my new TAV was also cracked... that must be a recurring problem with those plastic guards.

I put mine on anyway, seem to work fine so far.

mardyn

KB2ROCKET

once I finish the cover I will post pictures of it and if anyone wants one I"ll be happy to make more. it will be made out of polished aluminum

Last edited:

OldMan

I'm not red-neck enough to care much for diamond-plate :thefinger: , but otherwise it looks good.

Make sure you make the bottom holes open to the edge, so you only have to loosen the screws rather than remove them... taking them all the way out is a pain! :doah:

KB2ROCKET

thanks for suggesting slotting the bottom holes thats a good Idea
would polished stainless or aluminum work for you
or how about carbon steel primered so it could be painted the color of your choice?

If it were for me, I'd much prefer polished aluminum/stainless sheet.

Carbon steel would be my second choice. I have a pattern I made to duplicate the guard that came on my Sears bike. I'm going to attempt to fab one with thin aluminum sheet.

Fold on the dashed line (and fold the bottom tab over), then the long piece bends to match the front curve and attaches to the tab.

You could just square or angle the front as well.

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

nice pattern one thing I just keep on learning is everything is harder than it looks and cost way more than I thought for example bending diamond plate without a break is frustrating because the raised tread pattern is stronger than where it is not so guess where it wants to bend?
also each end has a differnt size radius this means the two folded sections need to be layed out at a strange angle .also the front of the guard needs to be offset 1/4" from the back to keep from hitting the engine
I think I am going to drill holes in the fore and aft pieces for cooling and so you can see the belt without removing the cover