TAV 30 question

Doc1976

got a TAV 30 converter to go on a tec 8 horse. my question is about the drive clutch installation. When assembled the splined hub is only on the crankshaft about 1/4 or so. Is this normal? The engine is brand new and the crank hasn't been cut short or anything. I just found it odd that it doesn't fit onto the crank any further. anyone have this setup?

gbabins1

I don't have a Tec but I do have the same setup on a clone. And it does only fit about a quarter of an inch or so. But as long as you use a long bolt into the crankshaft you should be okay... use some thread lock too [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Doc1976

I don't have a Tec but I do have the same setup on a clone. And it does only fit about a quarter of an inch or so. But as long as you use a long bolt into the crankshaft you should be okay... use some thread lock too [emoji106]

thanks. does the 30 have a regular washer on the bolt for the crankshaft? Ive seen some photos of a special washer that is notched and keyed to fit inside the clutch to take up the space that that the crankshaft lacks in length. But this style may only be for the series 40?

gbabins1

thanks. does the 30 have a regular washer on the bolt for the crankshaft? Ive seen some photos of a special washer that is notched and keyed to fit inside the clutch to take up the space that that the crankshaft lacks in length. But this style may only be for the series 40?
It does have the special keyed washer that came with it. I also added a lock washer to it just to make sure it doesn't come off at high rpm and also bought a long bolt that threads pretty far into the crankshaft. It seems to hold well.

chrisr

If the driven and driver are not in alignment, if not, they need to be. Blue Locktight along with a washer & lock washer on the driver bolt is good insurance.

Doc1976

okay so here is a few pictures of the washer situation that is confusing me. I got the pics from MFG supply website. It has all three of these washers listed as the same part from the schematic, although different part numbers (so basically three options). to me the last pic, the self aligning would be the best option?

Doc1976

now that is EXACTLY the one I saw that I couldn't find the second time I looked. That to me, looks like the most solid washer to use. anyone know a part number or a source for that particular washer?

also, I can see from the photos that the little hub also only fits onto the crank a short distance(which is why the washer you have looks to be the best) I think it would help to hold everything perfectly in line when spinning at full RPM. With use and wear, a standard washer could allow a little wobble especially with only 1/4" actually on the crank. At 3000+ RPM that could become catastrophic in a hurry. That is the washer I need!

gbabins1

and by the way, thank you gbabins1 for the effort and detailed pics
No problem at all. Glad I could help you out. I'll try to locate the part number and a website to purchase it. Give me a little bit and I'll see what I can come up with. I was also a little concerned with it only hanging onto the crank a little bit, but it's been holding up just fine and we haven't been taking it easy on it [emoji106]

gbabins1

Dang, I visited a bunch of sites and they only seem to show the washer you have pictured, not the one I have... and mine came from the OldMiniBikes warehouse.

Doc1976

Dang, I visited a bunch of sites and they only seem to show the washer you have pictured, not the one I have... and mine came from the OldMiniBikes warehouse.

well I sure appreciate your efforts, I will do a little searching and see what I can come up with, maybe ebay. Im getting ready to start a new project of getting an old Tule trooper back into service and just like trying to compile as many details as possible before I start. I figure an 8 horse with the converter should push the bike faster than I should be riding it:eek:hmy:

gbabins1

Anytime! I tried ebay as well but maybe you'll have better luck [emoji106]
Oh yeah I agree! That should move it pretty good. Make sure you take some pictures of the resurrection ( of the trooper) I'd love to check it out!

Doc1976

looks like the washer you have that im looking for is standard with the imitation comet converters. now just to find a source for just the washer!