TAV 9t gear question

joekd

My warrior has a TAV with the standard 10T gear and the OEM 50T sprocket

We ride primarily wooded trails and I constantly am left thinking I would like more "out of the hole" acceleration and am willing to lose top speed for it since we rarely have any areas where we are riding wide open continually

I know there area lot of people who suggest the 9t gear change on the TAV, my question is will this make a huge difference or will I barely notice it?

toomanytoys

I'm not sure how much difference you will see.

I'm running 9/60 on my super bronc 6.67 gear ratio. You would be running 5.5 gear ratio with the 9 tooth.

I have ran 8/60 and 10/60 on my super bronc before and really 1 up or down I didn't notice a whole lot of difference

joekd

That's pretty much what I was thinking, too bad a 60T rear sprocket woudl have to be custom made, 9t/60T and the TAV would seem to be perfect to me

toomanytoys

Try that out. I bet that will get you close to where you are looking. If not you are out 10 bucks and have a spare sprocket if you need it.

Worthy of a try.

C type 5/8" ? If so I'll take one!
I have a 9 tooth, but that was my starting point based on the larger tyre .
Then I ordered a custom sprocket from Azusa.

The sprocket is listed here.
They apear to have a hobler and can make what ever you like.
http://www.azusaeng.com/Sprockets/AzSDno40.pdf

41 chain 58 tooth ( went with that because it fit in a cheaper to ship package.
I learned this the hard way....
The sprocket was not expensive nor was the shipping.
The " Dealer " padded up both after order it from Azusa and stuck me with the cost of just paying him a commission on the sale.

Drilling was easy because I again thought about this...
By using the 58 the teeth line up in such a way you can shoot a line down the center to find your drill pattern and line up your oem to mark the holes.
The center hole is larger enough to fit over the axle spacer if you are running a shim like I do for wider tyres.
If now you will need to bore that center as well.
Its really not that hard to do.

I could be wrong but ordering direct and living in the USA I bet you could get the hobbled blank for around 40 or 50 bucks shipped and I think that's pretty good

Not a great picture but here you can see my 58 tooth and the 9 B type I am running.
Over all I am very pleased.

This gives me nearly 7:1 at low speed and drops too????
I think its 3 or 4 : 1 when the clutch is fully transitioned.

Keep a log book like I do lol.
Then you can refer back too it for things like this.
If you can remember to keep the log near the PC lol.

I said I run a B type!!!!!!!
You need a C not a B!!!!!!
I have the B because of the jack shaft and I prefer it because not only in is held in place with e a nut but has two set screws for insurance.
But a B will not work for you.

I just keep typing and editing....
I have defanged this bike a lot this year.
Its turning into a decent rider now with some alterations.
The high sprocket ration greatly improves its low speed performance and has reduced the wear and tare on belts.
Its still has the potential to lift the front wheel even with you bearing down on the front provided you have the traction.
This can add some excitement on hills if you drive too aggressive, be warned.

Last edited:
Hey Joe was reading and thinking about clutches and tinkering tonight....
Decided to review some of the stuff I tried last year and found this picture

Better picture of the 58 tooth here...

So glad I bought this sprocket

joekd

Thanks

I found an 8t C for sale, think I am going to try that and see how it feels then if still not happy move onto the rear sprocket

Thanks

I found an 8t C for sale, think I am going to try that and see how it feels then if still not happy move onto the rear sprocket

Its awful small Joe.
Its going to be hell on the chain.

I don't have any experience with a sprocket that small.
My gut is just telling me this is just not a good idea.

You realize those are 20 inch tyres on my bike.
And they are fat and heavy.
It floats the bike over things rather than sit and dig ( mud is a bad idea though then your just in a greasy mess with liquid poo flying everywhere )

I saw a 54 tooth at go-kart suply for another kind of bike.
i think you could drill this steel fellow out...
Carter Brothers Sprockets 54 and 60 you can drill it out like I did for 40 bucks.
http://www.gokartsupply.com/sprocket.htm

Last edited:
So a T/C has a 2.7:1 low end multiply that by your 5:1 you have about 13.2 low end. the 9 tooth moves you to 5.5x2.7= 15 flat, so the one tooth really should be rather noticeable. the 8 gives a 6.25x2.7= 16.9:1