tec engine spark plug question

Im working on a Speedway Shrike. At first it wouldn't start without starting fluid and then it wouldn't keep running. I opened up the Carb and it was very corroded and the float was bad,, I soaked i and the Needle seat melted,, So I bought brand new carb from OldMiniBikes after bolting on the carb and filling the bowl with gas It started with about 5 pulls and settled to a smooth idle high but smooth today I hooked up the linkage nd set up the clutch so I could take it for a test drive and its hard to start like 15 20 pull then a pop 10 more pulls and it started Im wondering if I have the wrong plug my son put new plug in and he said it was what cme out but Im not sure if what came out was the right plug the engine is a H30 -35264H serial 20483 the plug in it is a champion 5843 any one know what plug should be in it?

The original spark plug likely was a Champion J8 or J8C. I haven't had good luck running Champion plugs. It may be worth while trying another brand such as NGK. An equivalent plug would be B6S.

Last edited:
I agree with the Ruppster. Quality control of Champion plugs has definitely declined, as I have experienced bad (new) Champion plugs right out of the box. Never had this problem with NGK.
Michael

Im working on a Speedway Shrike. At first it wouldn't start without starting fluid and then it wouldn't keep running. I opened up the Carb and it was very corroded and the float was bad,, I soaked i and the Needle seat melted,, So I bought brand new carb from OldMiniBikes after bolting on the carb and filling the bowl with gas It started with about 5 pulls and settled to a smooth idle high but smooth today I hooked up the linkage nd set up the clutch so I could take it for a test drive and its hard to start like 15 20 pull then a pop 10 more pulls and it started Im wondering if I have the wrong plug my son put new plug in and he said it was what cme out but Im not sure if what came out was the right plug the engine is a H30 -35264H serial 20483 the plug in it is a champion 5843 any one
know what plug should be in it?
I have been away for some years but I am reading some of these threads.
The original plug for a H30 would have been a Champion J8.
My Tecumseh Factory Service Manual states for H30, use a Champion (R)J17LM.
But if you want close restoration looks, you can use a Champion J8C, which has
the same height as J8.