Tec HM80. Need Advice please!

Hello OldMiniBikes!

I have recently acquired a 1976 Heald Super Bronc with a Tec HM80 155042A Serial No. 4169R.
My grandpa took it to a local shop to get tuned up and running a few years back. Well, my cousin was riding it and I could tell something was not right and made him shut it down. It sat for a few more years in the barn and a few weeks ago he said I could have it. I took it home and started tinkering with it.

It turns out that the screw that holds the butterfly on the choke rod came loose. It then got sucked up the intake and did a number on the head and piston. The cylinder looks pretty good. There are no deep gouges or anything of that nature. Here are the pictures:

0420152023a[1].jpg
0420152022a[1].jpg

In your opinion, what needs to be replaced? I already have a piston, rings, wrist pin, and clips. Do you think it will need a connecting rod? Main bearings?

I hope i purchased the right parts:
Tecumseh 34540 Piston & 33873 Ring Kit STD OEM NOS NLA

Thanks for any input!
Josh

MB165

thats not too bad.... you could get away with running it without the new parts. use locktite on the carb screws.
fire it up see what it sounds like, the botton end shouldnt have any damage from that.....

Last edited:
MB165's right...that's nothing to be concerned with I've done/seen way worse. But if you already have those parts why not install then to freshen up your engine. As for the bottom end,is in as good of shape as it was before that screw appeared,,change your oil thou.

You've found a great bike...put a new engine on it. There aren't many horizontal engines left to buy that fit the Super bronc. The old Tecumseh engines were good but not as good as the LH 358XA. Find one and bolt it in, before it ends on on the scrap heap of time.