Tecumseh hs 40 flywheel numbers and options.

501m

I have a hs40 from a 71Rupp mini bike. Lighting coil engine. My flywheel has some damaged and missing fins. What are my options. I’m ok with doing away with the lighting parts for now to be able to ride it. What parts do I need ? I have an early 70’s push mower with what is probably a 3 hp vertical pull ( flywheel has teeth) engine. Could that be used? Help!!! Thanks.

markus

the numbers that were supplied to you by people over on the Tecumseh FB page in the past couple of days are what you need for either non lighted or lighted, With exception of some 3700 (something like that) steel flywheel, that is made up BS and a steel version flywheel wont fit under your shroud anyway.

With those numbers and info (regarding the having to also use a non lighted magneto with standard flywheel) you could simply go to ebay, type in those part numbers, and actually right now find each and every one of those NLA parts listed for sale....unfortunately you will not like the price of any of them except the non lighted stator plate.

You could actually find a non lighted flywheel under some certain vertical mower/equipment engines used in that same timeframe but, it would most likely be harder to find one of those mowers than a horizontal engine that would have the flywheel. You have a 4hp and only the 4hp flywheels in that timeframe for 4hp Tecumseh equipment will be the same (part number is stamped on the face of the wheel). Not anything 2.5-3.5 or 5-up will fit the shaft and under the shroud.

copyman

I have a hs40 from a 71Rupp mini bike. Lighting coil engine. My flywheel has some damaged and missing fins. What are my options. I’m ok with doing away with the lighting parts for now to be able to ride it. What parts do I need ? I have an early 70’s push mower with what is probably a 3 hp vertical pull ( flywheel has teeth) engine. Could that be used? Help!!! Thanks.
I have a NON-lighted flywheel & coil that was removed from an HS40 that I converted to lighted. PM me if still needed.