Tecumseh HS40 Ugly duckling

Ok, so I bought this engine pretty much exactly the way you see it here. I did nothing to this engine except purchase a new carburetor to get it to run better than it was. The carb is not a genuine Tec carb, but it is brand new. It came with no gas tank and it will be sold as such. I do have an air filter housing and foam air filter that I can include with the engine. I also have the original carb that it came with (that will go with it too).

Here are the fully disclosed facts/problems with the engine:
1. The paint is ugly, I think someone rattle canned it with regular paint, not high heat. And it looks like the shroud is pitted underneath the paint.
2. The small moon shaped shield that goes behind the shroud on the right side of the engine is missing.
3. The larger bolt that goes at the bottom of the shroud on the same side of the engine is missing and will not stay in even if I did have it. There is usually a small square shaped receiving nut that is attached to the inside of the shroud that holds this bolt in place....it has come off. However, you can fix this problem with a locknut and bolt.
4. The head bolts that you see missing in the picture - I do have some, but they are not the original head bolts that came with it. However, they will go with the engine.
5. One of the oil fill caps has a "fin" missing.
6. One or more of the head fins is partially missing or bent.
7. There is no spring for the governor. The one you see in the picture is not the right one.
8. Lastly - there is no throttle rod from the top of the governor to the butterfly.

Other than that, this engine runs and runs well when it's fired up. This is a good engine to put your own touches on.
Clutch/guard not included. Oh and I do have a muffler for it - it's the mini bike S-curve muffler with the pod on the end. It's been blasted and painted with high heat black paint. It's also not perfect with a few minor dents, but it serves it's purpose. I can add a picture of that if absolutely necessary. Genuine Tecumseh fuel line and the white pod fuel filter will be included too.

Again, this engine is far from perfect/complete, but it's also not junk.

$75 shipped, Paypal only please.

Last edited: