Tecumseh HS50 verses H50

I have only used Tecumseh HS40 and HS50 engines on my bikes. I was wondering if theres a any advantage to using a H50 OR HH50 engine. I know you need to have a frame big enough for it. I know Rupp used big block Tecumseh's on the 68-69 TT-500 and Roadsters maybe others models. I run across H50 and H60 from time to time but I never have picked one up. Do they have good performance?

The H50 & H60 engines are bigger for sure compared to the HS motors.

Tecumseh made a Special Tecumseh Motorsports H50 for Kart Racing some years ago.
A few kits still linger on ebay from time to time.

There were alot of Performance Parts made for the Motorsports H50: Billet rods, Cams, Tilly Carbs, ect.

These parts are getting harder to find and the value of them are increasing too.

The regular H50 motor should accept most performance parts made for the race motor.

Last edited:
H50 has a bigger bore and longer stroke = more torque. Super strong motors. Well worth it. Also dont worry about all the billet crap. Just pull the governor and add a header and hold on! :thumbsup:

I.m going to get one and try it out. You can get a better deal on them some times over the HS engines. But I don,t no for how long since Tecumseh engine been shut down. Certified Parts Corp. Bought all there stock and a engine plant here in the US, I Guess they have truck loads of stuff to get move to there site and inventory. I talk to a guy from CPC last week,they may keep make parts and or engines but nothing in stone right know he told me.

I did some research on another forum and a guy informed me that I can use a Tecumseh H50 motor and add an H70 Crankshaft + Star Billet Rod to make a powerful stroker motor.

He gave me the part number for the crankshaft, because he said Tecumseh changed the stroke length a few times.

Thanks for all the input guys, I have a Sears bike with the 10 inch wheels on it Picture is in my photos. If I don,t sell it that will fit a big block in it fine maybe H60 or H70. I have 1970 and up Rupps, The H series engines take up a Lot of space in the Rupp frame and cover the right foot peg up more than a HS50.

i think it will be a tight fit. btw i saw you had a trail 90 its nice looking i have a yellow one also. and if you ever want to sell that st90 let me know

Thanks Jesse,But You will have to wait until they have the estate sale at my house after they put my in the ground. I like my Hondas. The ST90 I picked up localy and redid the top end it only had 1100 miles on it when some ran it into a tree,and then it sat in a garage for years until I got it, It a smooth riding bike on the trails, I would like to get one of the Lifans Engine 140cc or the 160cc to get more power and a four speed trans and repaint it. Got to many irons in the fire right now.

I do not know if it would work but on a ST90 swap, I wonder if you could use a trail 70 frame and bolt all the parts onto that frame. I will have to look at the frames side beside to compare. I get extra 70 frames.

Isn't this an H-50? It's much wider but the engine is to hard to get to right now to look up the model. :doah:

Last edited: