Tecumseh PowerSport on sale...

Yes, they're new engines with a one year factory warranty...

What kind of warranty is included on those clone engines?...just curious...don't personally own any, and never will...

I own two Champion clones and they've been great, however it just seems wrong and they will end up on "newer" mini's.

I LOVE older flat head Tecumseh's and bought a used one yesterday (think that makes 6ea) I have considered the powersports but "the look" is different on lod mini's.

Tell you what, I have a 3.5 Tec that is older than dirt (60's?) and it still runs like a bat out of hell. :thumbsup:

I have a new rule I set for myself. My clones will only go in home built,Azusa or Doodle bugs, etc., and may end up with new homes. All my old ones will have flatheads. I used to be a Briggs fan, but after a few Tecumsehs, I'm slowly changing over. I have a 60s 3.5 Tecumseh with the side exhaust and same aluminum flywheel used on the newer (80s) vertical engines, and it will run with my 5.5 clone.

Jim, I'm in the same boat and am thinking on selling a few Briggs to get more Tecumseh's! I just don't like carbs in gas tanks and the Tecs have been great.

Yellowhand, you are evil! I just bought a new 6hp Powersport :doah: I won the bid at $176 shipped from the same place. :sorcerer: Not a clone price but pretty close! :thumbsup: Guess I'll need to paint a bike two tone with Grey. :wink:

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Yellowhand the OHV Tecumseh is not a real good choice of engines. If you want a US made engine then go with the Briggs. The flathead Tecumseh's are way better quality then there new stuff. There just as cheap as the clones.

BTW it's not the wrong thing to buy a clone. It's the buyers personal choice for there own reasons.

Yes, it is my personal choice...and I'm old enough to consider the consequences of my actions when making those choices...

That's why I choose to buy American made engines with readily available replacement parts and manufacturer's warranties...instead of whatever is cheapest...

Your opinion of Tecumseh engines is just that...your opinion...everybody has one...some are worth more than others...

Crap, I hope they aint junk.:doah: We did had one on a go cart and it was great. :thumbsup:

Clones are fine,,,,,,, on new mini's. :thefinger:

I'm not a traditionalist by any means (Heck, I was singing the praises of the Glock over the 1911-clones years ago), but I really like the laid back look of the OHV engines.

I went with the Tec OHH60 because I got it at a good price from a local store I have a relationship with. Over-seas production is a fact of life these days, due mostly to US labor costs and the global market so many companies have to compete in. I know, my job goes to Malaysia at the end of Feb. I'm not bitter, I'll just know that it's time to find another job in an area where the US has a competitive advantage using American workers.

As David Green, founder and owner of one of the world's largest retail chains said in his book, More Than A Hobby: How a $600 Start-Up Became America’s Home & Craft Superstore:

"All God's children need an income."

The two new Briggs 5.5 Intek engines I just bought were made in America, and the cartons and literature were printed in America also...the shipping documents didn't show any out of country origins...

However, Tecumseh has been outsourcing components to Taiwanese manufacturers as supply contracts with North American manufacturers come up for renewal...

An American company, Chicago Rawhide, recently lost their contract to supply oil seals to Tecumseh for use in the manufacture of their engines, and for sale as a replacement part...

A Taiwanese company submitted a lower bid for supplying seals that Tecumseh deemed 'acceptable quality'...

Chicago Rawhide has been around since seals were actually made from rawhide, supplying components to engine manufacturers, including Cushman, for about a century...

Sadly, they'll end up like Cushman soon...and we'll be on the forums looking for ways to make our crappy Chinese engines work...with only crappy Chinese parts available to 'fix' them...

American workers make better products, and are paid a good wage to make these products...

If we want this standard of living to continue to exist, we need to buy the products our friends and neighbors make...

Instead of buying whatever is the cheapest, and to hell with the consequences of doing so...