tecumseh star

Hi everyone.

I picked a 73 rupp roadster II frame for a minibike build about 3 yrs ago and had a lot of things happen which put my project on hold until recently. I'm still gathering parts and have been considering my engine options. I had originally thought that I might go with a Honda gx200 or an animal but I found an engine I couldn't pass up.

I found a star 10 that the seller bought from his brother 3 years ago and stored in his garage. The engine was supposedly built/assembled by a man in Tennessee. Supposedly the engine has never been touched since assembly as it was an extra engine for a kart. It was sold with clutch and alky carb. The guy selling it didn't know much other than that. I asked if it was assembled by EC Birt to which he replied that was the mans name and even had his initials on the motor. I am now awaiting delivery.

My question is since it's been stored for so long is there any certain things I should be inspecting specifically? When it arrives I plan to clean, inspect and fill with fluids. Any tips? I don't know much about EC Birt other than he was a big time kart builder from Tennessee. Can anyone tell me what I can expect from an EC built/assembled engine. I have no idea if he did anything to this engine as far as upgrades. I'll know more and post pics when the engine arrives.

Thanks!

ure

Mr. Birt was directly involved with Tecumseh Motorsports in developing the Star. Not only did he build engines, he was producing the HL 360 carbs that were used. You have a great engine if E.C. did the work. We lost E.C. last month due to illness. I would be interested in purchasing the engine from you. I have a fresh Star that I could trade with cash if interested. Please let me know. Thanks, Perry.

Well, I'm having a little trouble getting the engine here. It supposedly shipped out today, but communication with the seller has been poor since he got his money. That leads me to believe that this guy may not be too truthful. I hope my assumptions are incorrect but I'll see soon enough

I heard about EC passing away. I don't know much about him really except he was supposedly a very good man and engine/carb guy. It is sad to hear about his passing. His shop is still going so I bet he would have been proud of that.

Here is one of my tecumseh star engines. This engine was originally an EC Birt Built Engine with EC Stage 3 HL360 carb. Has EC Tennessee Thunder Stix cam. Since new has had one freshening and hasnt been ran since. Angle decked the block and did some nice port work during the freshening. Ceramic coated strait pipe. Nice engine with alot of custom fabricating and work.
I would be willing to sell this one if anybody is interested. $850 plus shipping.

I have a few star engines and lots of parts if anybody is needing any.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Are you planning on modifying the frame? I couldn't even fit an H50 motor in my frame comfortably. It would of went but I didn't want it that close. Thats a big motor.

I don't plan to modify the frame. I have been told that it will fit but that width will be my problem. I will likely have to get a billet side cover that will bring the width down by 1.25". The problem is that a more narrow (shorter) crank will have to be used. I don't know if my crank can be modified.

I really hope it fits but if it doesnt I'll put the star in something else.

Well, I'm having a little trouble getting the engine here. It supposedly shipped out today, but communication with the seller has been poor since he got his money. That leads me to believe that this guy may not be too truthful. I hope my assumptions are incorrect but I'll see soon enough
just curious as to who and where you bought it from?

A tecumseh star engine will not fit in 73 rupp frame unless you have a low profile timing cover. It will be too wide, the engine will have to be mounted so far off to one side that it will cover the foot pegs. Also there is not enough room height wise to fit the engine in there, you will have to modify the upper tube and fuel tank mounts. How ever it can be made to work on 1970 rupp frame, the frame is a little larger. If you use an engine plate you can locate the engine far enough foward to make it fit. I have done this already, it was a pain in the ass, but it was worth it.