Texas Drought

buckeye

Man I remember when I lived in belton/Temple in 84-90. There were cracks in the yard big enough to lose you dog in. It must be worse now. prayin for ya'll brotha. I still have a lot of friends in Tx. so I know the story.

Man I remember when I lived in belton/Temple in 84-90. There were cracks in the yard big enough to lose you dog in. It must be worse now. prayin for ya'll brotha. I still have a lot of friends in Tx. so I know the story.
The soil is so hard and compacted here that when I hand water the yard, it puddles up in about 5 seconds. Ants are constantly swarming on the sprinkler and hose, even when I haven't used it for a few days. I can only imagine all the wild animals that are dying off because of this.
I've got bowls of water in the backyard and the front for the poor little critters that are out hunting for some H2O. I saw a sign donw in Robstown, TX on a farmers land that read "Now Hiring Rain Dancers", just last week.

I don't think it's working though....

Last edited:

buckeye

Frikin fire ants can smell h2o. Hope ya'll get a little tropical storm action in the next week or so. Looks like that may be possible. Hopefully it gets to the gulf and doesnt turn into a monster and just moves right along and gives ya that much needed rain. I bet the river below Canyon Lake is jacked up. Or is Canyon lake keeping it going.

Just my luck, I have a lot of welding to do, right in the middle of a heat wave...
I'm just north of Galveston so a minor tropical depression would be nice.
You can keep the hurricanes.......

Foundation of our home split last night/this morning. Sounded like damn gunshots. All from the soils and no moisture. Expanding/shrinking or whatever... I have one water line coming from the well to the house and one to the shop. The one to the house busted. I don't know where yet, so I'm not having a good day, and I didn't have a good night. Insurance company just put me on hold from 8:05 to about 9:00. This crap sucks.

Foundation of our home split last night/this morning. Sounded like damn gunshots. All from the soils and no moisture. Expanding/shrinking or whatever... I have one water line coming from the well to the house and one to the shop. The one to the house busted. I don't know where yet, so I'm not having a good day, and I didn't have a good night. Insurance company just put me on hold from 8:05 to about 9:00. This crap sucks.
That sucks.

Hopefully insurance will cover some of it :thumbsup:

damnit...i'm afraid of that same damn thing.
It's recommended by the city to put a soaker hose around the perimeter of your house, right up against the foundation and run it for 15 mins a day to prevent the soil from shrinking up and pulling away from the foundation. I haven't done so, but now I might :eek:hmy: