The "Bottle Rocket" Build

Sooooo,
I heard they were having a Minibike Class this year at the Billetproof Drags in Lakeland Florida.
I hit Craigslist and this is what I bought and this is what happened in the following months.................

Joined oldminibikes.com

150 Dollars got me this.

Cut it in half and sectioned it 7 inches.

Stretched it 14 inches.

Cut the bars off and made some clip on style lowboys.

Fabbed up some wheelie bars (whats a dragbike without wheelie bars?!!)

The clone motor was already degoverned, So I made a header pipe out of an old steel roadie bicycle handlebar, and some leftover heat wrap.

Set the motor in and mocked up the gas tank, an old fire extinguisher worked perfecto! I thought it gave it a 60's style dragbike look.

Extended the Aircleaner out, I needed room to put my leg under to get my feet to the back pegs. Seating area is mocked up.

I wanted to stay "minibike-ish" as much as possible, here is my idea of a "race inspired" minibike seat.

Holes make ya faster, right?!!!

Seat cowl is an old aluminum lamp cover cut in half and mounted to the pan to keep me from sliding off the back.

I heard that a billet flywheel was a must, so there it is!

Due to the riding position, I had to put something right where my inner leg lies so the clutch wouldn't tear me up. An old Mountain Bike chain tensioner bracket worked nicely!

The little "roll cage" around the top is to keep my inner leg from laying on the springs.

And there is the rest of the tensioner. In the background is the M.B.O.B.
Yes, a Mobile BurnOut Box. Keeps the bleach water handy for the unexpected "Hey, do a burnout" crowd. Saves tires too!

And here she is, ready for the strip. Sporting a working speedo and a Salvagerz number plate and a cheezy "321" race number,
...get it "Bottle Rocket" 3-2-1. Sorry, LOL.

I gps'd 54.5mph in the 1/8th, that was before the billetflywheel, carb rejetting and 4 teeth smaller on the rear. I'm hoping for 60mph.

Here was the first paint job. I was going to go "rat rod" but I think it looked pretty cheezy, so I went Black.

So there it is.
Before ya ask........
Yes, those are mountainbike brakes on the front. Scary but they really do work! I couldn't work a scrub brake with my knee, believe me I tried.
Discs would be to high tech, the rules for Billetproof are loose, but they want "vintage" style minibikes.
Yes, that is a fake NOS bottle. It's just fun to listen to people when they see it!
Yes, even with the 12x44 gearing it still pulls hard.
And the best part of all....It was less than $350 bucks to build.
Hope you guys dig it.

Kenny

Last edited:
looks great . how stable is it with the forward riding position? Also where or what did you make the back of the seat sheetmetal thingey out of? I want to do that with a bike but i cant figure out what to use

It was an aluminum cone from a lamp. A lightbulb went inside.
One of those floor to ceiling sprung lamps with 3-4 lights that you can move around. It was a dumpster dive find, I took one and cut it in half.
I tried to google one and found nothing.:shrug: Sorry
She's real stable, here is "race position" shot, it really makes the bike look small....or does it make me look big? :biggrin:

Here ya go, Found one...similiar. Just cut it in half and instant Cafe Cowl!

Last edited:
The bike looks amazing... Between u and Loppy, U got me debating on taking the ride up Lakeland just to see you guys ride!

EDIT:
Just realized Ill be out of town... Ill be on my honeymoon from the 17th til 27th... Take lots of pics though. Maybe with the help of you two, I can build me one by the time the next Billet Drag event pops up. I'd have to hire a rider though... They dont call me Big Boi for nothing, lol!

Last edited:
ok i know what you mean. i think i may have something like that actually :smile: you may want a better clutch cover they tend to sling hot grease. in this case all over your shirt :laugh: billetproof sounds like a hoot

Thanks for the compliments guys! Blush, Blush!
Glad that ya dig it.:smile:

Hey Maddcarson, I hear you on the kneepads. I thought about the consequenses if something happened at 50+, so I searched Craigslist and found these leathers (and boots) for a hundred bucks, and would ya believe they actually fit! The Shoei Helmet was another find, 65 bucks, that's getting painted this weekend Metalflake red.:thumbsup:
The Nerd factor will be kinda high being in full leathers on a Minibike, but at least if something happens I can still go to work on Monday!

The gov. was taken out before I got it, other than the Flywheel and jetting it's stock.
I wanted to keep it a low buck project, I had just under 250 bucks into it, but then I heard a lot of horror stories about the flywheels, so that's why I spent the extra Hundred on that.
If the drags prove to be too much fun, I know where to get a ton of info on builing a scary fast motor!!!
This place is awesome...and addicting!

Ratbike

Dude!!Too awesome!!! Nice build...looks like you thought of about everything!!:thumbsup: If ya want a little more RPM Cheap you can cut your own advance key(free),18lb springs (8 to 10 bucks), and a pair of 1.2 ratio rocker arms(20 bucks)to give you some more lift without changing Cam. May want to consider a billet rod :shrug: Let us know how the drags go...Thats exciting!!!!:thumbsup: