The History of Manco...

A neat vid I found interviewing Bill Hatlem founder of Manco Products.
"Back" in the 90's, I sent out for a go kart & minibike parts catalog from an ad in the back of a popular mecanics magizine in the classifieds section. This was before that new fangled internet thing;) I remember drooling over the Manco Dingo Karts. I was trying to fix up a Dune cycle Me & my Grandad found at a swap meet but that was long ago & far away...

Harquebus

Great find and thanks for posting. Manco is known for their mini bikes too but they may have made most of their profits with go karts, not sure. Didn't know the founders name until now.

That catalog you sent off for may have been from Kart World. It was legendary and pretty thick.

This is interesting as my understanding is my Grandmother, Mary Rydberg was his original employee keeping his books. She was still taken care of financially somehow after the bankruptcy sale. A stipulation of some sort.
My understanding was he was with him in some business function all the way back to 1949 when she was 28.
She told my mom (still alive) once, that Bill's greatest regret was getting involved with Sears. The money back guarantee almost put him under as people rode bikes and Go-Karts into the ground and Sears took them back no questions asked. Bill asked my grandmother what he was suppose to do with all these [machines].
Per Grammy, they continued to beat him up on prices. The final nail to the coffin being the go-kart recall. They beat Manco down to the point their quality and safety were compromised. Very similar to what they did to Emerson Electric on their radial arm saws. Emerson managed to bail on Sears (per a Emerson employee of the era). Manco, not so lucky.
Early 70s, our Schwin scramblers were stolen
Grammy wanted to give us either Go-Karts (dingo?) or mini-bikes. But nooo!! My parents didn't like that idea even though we could ride them down a dirt road area 5 houses away.
Instead, we got a pair of silver colored big old honking manco bicycles. Big rectangular seat, big shocks, heaviest bicycle ever. I swear they sent us big mini-bikes without motors. I had to push the thing uphill, on trails downhill, pretty hefty smooth until I went over the handlebars and that beast landed on me.
Yes, Manco made actual bicycles. No, they did not sell well. Yes, I regret not getting the Go-Karts.
-Adam
hwin

This is interesting as my understanding is my Grandmother, Mary Rydberg was his original employee keeping his books. She was still taken care of financially somehow after the bankruptcy sale. A stipulation of some sort.
My understanding was he was with him in some business function all the way back to 1949 when she was 28.
She told my mom (still alive) once, that Bill's greatest regret was getting involved with Sears. The money back guarantee almost put him under as people rode bikes and Go-Karts into the ground and Sears took them back no questions asked. Bill asked my grandmother what he was suppose to do with all these [machines].
Per Grammy, they continued to beat him up on prices. The final nail to the coffin being the go-kart recall. They beat Manco down to the point their quality and safety were compromised. Very similar to what they did to Emerson Electric on their radial arm saws. Emerson managed to bail on Sears (per a Emerson employee of the era). Manco, not so lucky.
Grammy wanted to give us either Go-Karts (dingo?) or mini-bikes. But nooo!! My parents didn't like that idea even though we could ride them down a dirt road area 5 houses away.
Instead, we got a pair of silver colored big old honking manco bicycles. Big rectangular seat, big shocks, heaviest bicycle ever. I swear they sent us big mini-bikes without motors. I had to push the thing uphill, on trails downhill, pretty hefty smooth until I went over the handlebars and that beast landed on me.
Yes, Manco made actual bicycles. No, they did not sell well. Yes, I regret not getting the Go-Karts.
-Adam
hwin
Great story…as usual screw the little guy…fucking rich people!

minibikefever

-Adam
hwin
That is certainly a cool story and a part of minibike history in your family, like Skipp said too bad greed has to always screw the working class and twice as bad today...

Harquebus

Manco is still around but is not exactly the same outfit the founder created. Started out as Manco [Manco Products] in 1967, then Manco PowerSports, then a rename to American Sportworks and then finally LandMaster in the present day. All those re-names (occuring just over 14 years) reeks of an identity crisis or something.

https://landmaster.com/about-us

They are still a U.S. manufacturer and not merely a distributor of Chinesium products as is often the case. But alas, in 2019 "Landmaster stopped producing go-karts and other Manco “fun machines” to focus solely on its line of Landmaster utility vehicles." Bor-ring.

Here's some ads from the good old days [sequential catalog pages no less] :

B207F30E-AC92-430A-A56D-8BDF0FF5DC19_1_201_a.jpeg
62D21A17-2FB6-4ECE-8485-783344D20B29_1_201_a.jpeg
3CFC8E71-6D4A-46C3-83FC-5A500236693D_1_201_a.jpeg