Three Wheeler

capguncowboy

This popped up on my local Craigslist. It's a fiberglass body in mostly good condition. His asking price seems reasonable for just the TAV and 6.5hp Tec -- I know they're not original to the bike, but I like it anyway - I just wish they hadn't cut the body to fit the motor. Any clue what make/model it is? Bird? Boyd?

He claims the forks are designed that way, but the look high-speed to me

capguncowboy

I have a Manco Rustler that was converted to a 2-wheeler long before I got it. It's much larger than this, and the frame doesn't look anything like this one.

Are you sure? I don't mean to second guess you -- just trying to be as certain as possible.

I have a Manco Rustler that was converted to a 2-wheeler long before I got it. It's much larger than this, and the frame doesn't look anything like this one.

Are you sure? I don't mean to second guess you -- just trying to be as certain as possible.
Pretty sure....Manco made different models and stuff. But might wanna wait till someone with a bit more knowledge on them chimes in.

capguncowboy

I think I'm going to try to pick this up tomorrow afternoon if he still has it. Are these desirable at all? I know that a lot of three-wheelers got a bad rap in the late 80s, but you'd think American made would necessitate some demand.

And is there any way to change the Best Answer? :doah:

The couple I had ( that were not Birds...lol.) had the same characteristics as the Honda three wheelers. Tend to tip easier and can put you on your rump if not careful. But they do have a certain cool factor. And ya...that's why I said might wanna wait till others chime in :laugh:

You have to lean to the outside vs the inside like you would on 2 wheels. Hang off the side if necessary. :laugh: They're as safe as anything else, but you have to re-learn riding.:thumbsup:

capguncowboy

Honestly, at first, I was only interested in the TAV and the motor. The motor would go great on a go-kart I've got sitting in the garage.. and the TAV could go on my Manco Rustler 2 wheeler -- would work nicely.

I've seen some of these converted into street bikes, with smaller wheels/tires and a lower seat (which required removing the shroud). I'm not sure if I could stand to modify it that much though. Three wheelers are getting more and more difficult to find

I liked my 200X Hondas, had a pair in the 80s and rode the tires off em. Rebuilt them once due to too many hours spent flogging the hell out of em, they woke right up and we did it all again then they sat in disrepair for a few years till an ambitious Bargain Post buyer took em off my hands. He may still have em but I doubt it, they were rode hard and put up wet too many times.

capguncowboy

I got it today. I was on the fence about it -- but I saw last night on CL that he dropped his price by 30% and I couldn't pass it up.

This thing is really jumpy. I'm not sure if it's that the motor is too much for it, or if the TAV is messed up. I'll go through it and see if I can ID the issue.

Not bad for $120 though