Tire change question.

Total noob here. Just bought my first DB-30 last week, and I've ridden it so much, I have an almost bald tire on the back. I've taken it to 4 places and no one knows how to get the tire off, or has a machine small enough.

How are you guys switching your tires out? Just elbow grease and pry bars?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

CarPlayLB

Total noob here. Just bought my first DB-30 last week, and I've ridden it so much, I have an almost bald tire on the back. I've taken it to 4 places and no one knows how to get the tire off, or has a machine small enough.

How are you guys switching your tires out? Just elbow grease and pry bars?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Do some stretching first and loosen up!
Make sure both beads are broken away from the rim. If you can get the opposite side of the tire in the center of the wheel you will have room to move the tire sideways and the one side should be able to come off easier. A couple screwdrivers should do it!

2SlickNick

If it is the stock original, it will come right off. Super easy - the more you do, the better you get.

Edit: also make sure you remove sprocket and disc so you don't bend or ruin those.

Last edited:
If it is the stock original, it will come right off. Super easy - the more you do, the better you get.

Edit: also make sure you remove sprocket and disc so you don't bend or ruin those.
You can also just cut the old tire off :thumbsup: If you can warm the new tire in the oven so its more pliable use a vegetable oil to lube the bead and tire spoons or screw drivers to install the new tire :thumbsup: You will need a good compressor to set the bead :thumbsup:

Do some stretching first and loosen up!
Make sure both beads are broken away from the rim. If you can get the opposite side of the tire in the center of the wheel you will have room to move the tire sideways and the one side should be able to come off easier. A couple screwdrivers should do it!
s

Haha. Kind of what I suspected. Thank you!

Wow, awesome idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

You can also just cut the old tire off :thumbsup: If you can warm the new tire in the oven so its more pliable use a vegetable oil to lube the bead and tire spoons or screw drivers to install the new tire :thumbsup: You will need a good compressor to set the bead :thumbsup:
That's my kind of answer! Can't wait to get my new utility knife out tomorrow. Great idea about using the oven, I never would have thought of that. What a simple solution. Hopefully the house doesn't smell like the race track after heating up all that rubber. The wife will have words. Thanks so much!

CarPlayLB

Gavin...you live in Arizona! Leave the tire outside in the sun...no need to stink up the house when you live in an oven!

Harleys papa is a polar bear! He don't know about heat! I use some soapy water and have not had an issue cutting them. Keep everything wet to lubricate the blade. Most tires have a metal bead though. Cut the tire off and you should be able to rotate the beads and get them off...please don't cut yourself. Then we'll have to blame HP!

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Well that was fun OR should I say funny to watch, LOL

[video=youtube;fJs7Vizv9ls]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJs7Vizv9ls[/video]

Yes, I DO live in AZ. That whole "its a dry heat" is some major BS. It's *BEEP*in HOT here! My best buddy lives in LB. He works on the oil rigs. Small world! I've never seen a DB's flying around out there, maybe just haven't looked hard enough.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I DO live in AZ. That whole "its a dry heat" is some major BS. It's *BEEP*in HOT here! My best buddy lives in LB. He works on the oil rigs. Small world! I've never seen a DB's flying around out there, maybe just haven't looked hard enough.

Thanks for the reply!
:laugh: Head out here for an extra 15 degrees. During the Summer, the pool is too hot to cool off in, and the sun heats my sunglasses up so much, they burn my face. The Winters are sure nice though.

I also cut old tires off if I need to. I stopped using dish soap to mount them, since the water can't be good. (Although nothing will actually rust here) Instead I have switched to vegetable oil. Way better. Also, if you do break down and get actual tire tools, get the longest handles you can. And an extra tube. LOL.

Discount Tires here in Havasu mounted some 8" tires for me. I don't know how small they can go with their Coats machine, but you gotta figure there are some small trailer tires out there.

:laugh: Head out here for an extra 15 degrees. During the Summer, the pool is too hot to cool off in, and the sun heats my sunglasses up so much, they burn my face. The Winters are sure nice though.

I also cut old tires off if I need to. I stopped using dish soap to mount them, since the water can't be good. (Although nothing will actually rust here) Instead I have switched to vegetable oil. Way better. Also, if you do break down and get actual tire tools, get the longest handles you can. And an extra tube. LOL.

Discount Tires here in Havasu mounted some 8" tires for me. I don't know how small they can go with their Coats machine, but you gotta figure there are some small trailer tires out there.
Good to know! I think I'm going to buy some of those 3' long screw drivers from harbor freight and see how they do. Love the vegetable oil idea though. Good thinkin.

By the way, your avatar picture makes me depressed... SO MANY MINIS!!!

Good to know! I think I'm going to buy some of those 3' long screw drivers from harbor freight and see how they do. Love the vegetable oil idea though. Good thinkin.

By the way, your avatar picture makes me depressed... SO MANY MINIS!!!
Oh don't be depressed. I sold all of those at thirty cents on the dollar. It's the chrome and rare parts that kill you. Definitely spring for the extra tube if you're using screw drivers. I notoriously suck at changing tires though. I am a split hub kinda guy.

CarPlayLB

Ya know Dave's not messin' when he shows up with the Wesson!

Oh don't be depressed. I sold all of those at thirty cents on the dollar. It's the chrome and rare parts that kill you. Definitely spring for the extra tube if you're using screw drivers. I notoriously suck at changing tires though. I am a split hub kinda guy.
I thought these were tubeless tires. Am I wrong??

I thought these were tubeless tires. Am I wrong??
No idea. I don't mess with DB's. I am not alone in the practice of using tubes on all mini bike tires though. Cheap insurance. I've had several tires that were "tubeless" but zero wheels (rims) that were. All of my bikes were/are from the olden days.

I cant see why someone would not use a tube on a mini bike, but many certainly do not use tubes if their wheel supports it. It's a long walk back from the desert, pushing a mini bike in 110 degrees. At least a quarter mile. :laugh:

No idea. I don't mess with DB's. I am not alone in the practice of using tubes on all mini bike tires though. Cheap insurance. I've had several tires that were "tubeless" but zero wheels (rims) that were. All of my bikes were/are from the olden days.

I cant see why someone would not use a tube on a mini bike, but many certainly do not use tubes if their wheel supports it. It's a long walk back from the desert, pushing a mini bike in 110 degrees. At least a quarter mile. :laugh:
Hahah! That's a very good point. Well! I guess I'll be buying both then!

Any good tire and tube websites you could recommend? I don't know if I should just go on ebay, or buy from the OldMiniBikes warehouse.

Hahah! That's a very good point. Well! I guess I'll be buying both then!

Any good tire and tube websites you could recommend? I don't know if I should just go on ebay, or buy from the OldMiniBikes warehouse.
For me, I support OldMiniBikes Warehouse when they have the parts I need. Their customer service and fast shipping has been top notch. They run this particular bit of cyberspace, so in addition to the $25 a year I give them to steal an unlimited number of digital photos, I buy from them as well. :laugh: