Tools, tools, tools its never ending

Taking a small engine class and finding that in my 47 years of life, and thinging I had a pretty good tool chest, well wrong. Start taking a engine class of any kind and you will find that there a 6 different types of screwdrivers you never knew existed and speciality tools for just about anything from holding a spring to a flywheel..

My burning question is: There has to be a tool company or parts dealer with real working man prices, My wallet is empty and needing some relief. Some one mentioned Harbor Frieght Tools, any and all help welcome?????:crying:

furyus

I've got a pretty modest tool collection compared to what a professional tool chest looks like, but some of these tools I've had for 30 years. I dig Craftsman myself, and always try and but the best tool that my money allows. Catch a sale at Sears and you can get some surprisingly good deals on tools. The HF stuff will certainly work, but in the long run cheap tools are just that - cheap.

furyus

rudedog

for some of the specialty stuff you can hit a local tool "club"/warehouse. They usually have them in a Lisle or KD band or something similar, at a pretty decent price.

ebay.. you have to decide what you really need and what you could just borrow. alot of tools as you may know can simply be improvised by other tools you may have.

what tools you needing is the question ? some stuff you can make easy enough some stuff ya dont need but it makes life soo much easier .

vette66_00

I dont think there has been a engine (including small singles to V8's) I have taken apart completely that could not be taken apart and put back together right with about $150 worth of tools. Now that would not be quality tools, but on a budget you can get Harbor Freight stuff but dont rely on it more than a couple uses.

As far as the basics sockets and open end and box end...Those at least get Husky (on the low side) or Craftsman (in the middle because of warranty). I have only ever used 4 screw drivers on an engine usually a short and medium #2 philips and a short and medium #2 Flat.

catfishman

i go to alot of estate sales and get tools real cheap, and when i am lucky i will find stuff on the sunday estate sale that was not bought saturday and it is half price on sundays.:smile:

Check the pawnshop. Always good tools to be found. There's always a bin full of loose sockets and "junk". I've gathered up set after set of every highline brand by taking a few minutes to dig through.

Swap meets are another good place to buy quality tools. I just got a brand new set of 4 Snap on 1/4 inch wobble extentions for $30 bucks cash. If I bought them off the Snap On guy it would have been over $120.

I try to stay away from China Freight. I mean Garbage Freight. I mean knockoff Freight. You get the idea....

Swap meets are another good place to buy quality tools. I just got a brand new set of 4 Snap on 1/4 inch wobble extentions for $30 bucks cash. If I bought them off the Snap On guy it would have been over $120.

I try to stay away from China Freight. I mean Garbage Freight. I mean knockoff Freight. You get the idea....
Swaps meets is one I forgot to mention... this month alone I've picked up

1/4 Craftsman deep socket set... $5 (SAE and Metric, plus four extentions)
6" Channel locks.. new.............. $2
2 Snap-On two drawer boxes.... $10 pair
1950's Craftsman tool chest..... $20
I won't even begin the Proto ratchet list... I've found 4 this month, avg. 5$ ea.

I should change my name to "Swap Meet Louie"....

The only thing I buy at Horrible Fright are grinders... That way I don't have to change wheels out so much, and for $15 bucks you can't go wrong.
I can't understand why all these guys want to buy the HF tool box... Its junk and you can find a Snap-On for under $500 on Craigslist.

dirty little secret about snap-on tools .... there rebranded cheap tools its irwin hanson vise grip. yep found a few links that showed the snap on is irwin just rebranded . you want some decent tools get the irwin stuff its cheap and here is the real shocker . its made here ,no really its made in the usa over in Wisconsin i think it is . they have sets that are cheaper then imports stuff . i know around here there is getting to be more and more irwin tooling in the stores . and from what i have played with its some tough stuff .