Torque wrench

I'm interested in getting a torque wrench to be used on minibikes. Would a 20-$25 one be good enough? It would not see every day use. They sell them cheap at harbour freight.

Ive never bought a cheep torque wrench. Spend the extra $25 and get a craftsman. Are you going to use it for the engine or the bike? If for the engine make sure to get an inch pound wrench.

Josh

Oldsalt

jscap. You probably need an inch/lb. torque wrenck. But I don't believe a beam type is easy to find anymore. A couple opf years ago I went out to buy one. Was told at Sears that all they now sell is the "click type". Then I found a used beam type inch/lb. wrench and bought it. Don't mess with the click type unless you have no choice. There are a few things that make them less desireable than a beam type.

Oldsalt

What length should it be for use on small engines? What size drive?
Probably 3/8" deive. An inch/pound wrench that will go to 600 in/lb torque will be adaquate for anything you are likely to find on a mini. [600 devide by 12 inches = 50 foot/pounds]. I have a beam type that was made in Taiwan. It has been checked in an inspection lab and is acceptably accurate. A click type is not a good choice especially for occational use. They are easy to set wrong and a number of other problems. Keep It Simple.

65ShelbyClone

Last edited:

Oldsalt

It's not weird, it's Walla Walla. It's a wonder that we even have a Sears here. You say a beam inch/lb. for $30? There would be no reason to by the Harbor Freight item if a reasonable one is availabe at Sears.

65ShelbyClone

It's not weird, it's Walla Walla. It's a wonder that we even have a Sears here. You say a beam inch/lb. for $30? There would be no reason to by the Harbor Freight item if a reasonable one is availabe at Sears.
That's what I'm saying! $5 more for a lifetime warranty from Sears and IMO a better wrench. :smile:

Oldsalt

jesse. You did good. Especially for free. You will like that wrench. Don't loan it out. Some fools think they can overloaded past the scale without risking damage. But was it really worth taking the risk of getting busted when you snaked it out of Sears?

jesse. You did good. Especially for free. You will like that wrench. Don't loan it out. Some fools think they can overloaded past the scale without risking damage. But was it really worth taking the risk of getting busted when you snaked it out of Sears?
it has a broke handle and no i didnt steal it it was givin to me as a replacement for my really old one that my grandpa broke

Here is an interesting experiment a guy did to see how accurate torque wrenches really are: http://home.jtan.com/~joe/KIAT/kiat_3.htm

According to his tests, both types of wrenches are accurate if used properly.

I personally prefer a "clicker" over a beam wrench. I find a beam wrench a PITA to use in a place where you just can't read the scale. Even when there's ample space around, you always have to bend over into an awkward position to read the scale, while applying force. With a clicker, you simply position yourself the most comfortable way and pull until it clicks.

For those of you using a clicker, make sure you always return it to the lowest setting after use, but DO NOT go past the lowest setting or parts may fall out of place inside the wrench, requiring that you disassemble it to put the parts back where they belong (don't ask how I know...).

"clicker" style wrenches in inch/lb are hard to use for many.....you really have to have a feel for the wrench due to not much pressure is put on the wrench to torque such small amounts and most times no audible "click" can be heard. I like the dial version for inch/lb.

Oldsalt

"clicker" style wrenches in inch/lb are hard to use for many.....you really have to have a feel for the wrench due to not much pressure is put on the wrench to torque such small amounts and most times no audible "click" can be heard. I like the dial version for inch/lb.
I don't like a clicker because you there is no scale or dial to watch when you get close to your setting to see how much creep you are getting. Also a clicker is worthless when it is needed to findout how much torque is required to turn an assembly. My biggest objection is that, as you point out, they can be velocity sensitive. All in all, both types have drawbacks, but if you can own only one... make it a beam type. That's my opinion.

You need to get a good Snap-on wrench. At my job, we have to constantly torque bolts to 145 in/lbs. The shorter ones are a little more tricky, but the long foot one is perfect and has a definate click!

I have a clicker! Not too sure of how to use it yet, but as time goes by im sure i can figure it out. Aint bad i picked it up for 15 bucks. I plan on getting an old style beam wrench also.

KB2ROCKET

their are no perfect torque wrenches for everything only torque wrenches that are perfect for what you are doing
at work I use torque wrenches that range from a digital wrench that reads in inch ounces with an electronic beep indicator to a 600 foot pound clicker and everything in between
use what works for you and try and operate it in the center of its range