Tote Gote/Honda Project

Motra

This is the begining of my new project. I'm installing a Honda ATC110 engine in this Tote Gote frame. The Honda engine has a four speed transmission with a high/low sub transmission, so I'll get the super low gearing that Tote Gotes are known for plus I'll get about 40 to 50 MPH top speed. It also has a pull start, automatic clutch, and about 8 horsepower. I'm tired of having low gearing with 20 MPH top speed or 40 MPH top speed with not enough hill climbing power, so this is my answer.

Motra

After calculating the gearing, I'd end up with a 52.9:1 low ratio and 43 MPH top speed. The model B Tote Gote has a 40:1 low gear ratio with a 3 HP engine and it'll climb anything as long as it can get traction. 53:1 with almost 8 HP is absurdly low. I'm excited!

Motra : That is what a lot of the Rokon Trail Breakers were converted to they used the same Honda drive system and with an 84:0 to 1:0 in low gear and even with their big 15 inch wheels they had gobs of power but 20 to 25 MPH wound out with the Chrysler 134CC engine. The Honda with the Hi-Lo box is perfect for a gote and if you need adjustment you can work that out with the sprockets. One thing to be cautious about is the brakes, because the Tote Gote used engine decompression to aid their stopping power the Honda will not give you that. Your front wheel has a brake and that is real good. Keep taking pictures of your progress.
Steve :scooter:

Motra

Since the original rear brake is on the first jackshaft I'll have to convert to a wheel brake. I like the 5 inch internal expanding brake on mfgsupply.com.