Tote gote questions.

Hello group. New guy here I didn't see an intro page so if I missed it please forgive me. I have been unsuccessful in a search for a Tote Gote 600 series within driving distance from my home near louisville,KY. I would like to build a frame and try to replicate the drive system. The tube bending and steel fabrication will be no problem but I haven't been able to come up with some of the critical dimensions for the frame. Sorry if you are a tote gote guy and don't like this plan. Dimensions like frame width and wheel base would be helpful if somebody would share those, if not I will try to scale some pictures. I have bought some wheels, sprocket and brakes from OldMiniBikes warehouse and will machine my own axles. Planning on a trailing link front suspension of my own design. I'm old and recently retired. I have a trail sport mini with a 4hp Tecumseh/TAV. My first mini in 1965 was a Frijole with a two stroke clinton. It was a great ride for an 8 year old.

Kevin, finding one within driving distance is going to be tough, as is finding one that the owner is willing to ship.

The 600 series also included the Nova shaft drive bikes. The link below shows several frames.

Chances are, if and when you do find an old Gote, the required repair and fabrication will assuage your frame-building jones. (grin)

frames

Hello Kevin. I think it's great you want to build a trail bike from scratch. It's an ambitious plan, but if you have the time and resources I say go for it. The tote gote 600 is not a bad place to start, Bonham corporation sold more of this model than any other. I especially like the idea of building your own suspension forks. Have you thought about going full suspension? I would suggest starting with the engine and tires and go from there. What size wheels did you buy?

Yes, ambitious plan but I'm retired and have the time. I recently finished a custom motorcycle and the wiring took me a month, a mini bike with a kill switch will be a welcome project. My wheels are 8 inch and the tires are 20x7. I will probably stay with a rigid rear end. I'm searching everywhere to read and learn what I can on how the drive reduction works on the gote so I can emulate it. When I was a young fella my dad managed an airport. One of our hangar tenants kept a gote in his hangar. He let me ride it a few times and I really liked chugging up a steep hill with it. That was about 50 years ago! I have a 5 hp B&S flathead in good shape. I'm planning on using it first.

I just sold a 600 roller at tote gote fest, but this 706 is a fat tire version of the same bike. (The tires on it now are not the correct size)
The wheel base is 43", Hope this helps.

Not sure why my pics are sideways, sorry

Thank you sir for those pics with the tape measure. Very helpful. They were straight when I clicked on them. Just sideways on the attachment.

WLB

Kevin, I live on the southside of Indianapolis and have a Model 404 Tote Goat. You are welcome to come up and measure anything you like.

Kevin, I live on the southside of Indianapolis and have a Model 404 Tote Goat. You are welcome to come up and measure anything you like.
Thank you sir. I share Colts tickets with a neighbor so I will be coming to Indy when the season starts. Will send you a PM and try to coordinate.