trail(broke)horse rebuild

a buddy of mine pilfered oops save this mini from the jukyard.of course it didnt run, so he called me to see if I could get it started. so I cleaned the carb added fresh gas & a new plug wala it started and ran like a champ I was surprised at the power of the 5hp tech, needless to say me him and some friends took turns bombing around the yard & the hood.with front & rear shocks thing road like a caddy.someone crashed mess up the forks then it lost spark.i have been trying to get the bike from him all winter to give it some love,once it stop running I knew it was just a matter of time until it was in my claws!!!

once I wire brushed and sanded it I found plenty of holes drilled in the frame & one of the tubes was completely broken.no biggie ,out came the welder. I fixed the broken tube filled all the unnessasary holes ,added some more strength to engine mount because I got big gx honda plans for this horse.

nice project...you don't see many TH with full suspension...
keep this updated as you go...
tell me about it 125cc crazy , I look at all the trailhorse builds and only found one with shocks,to bad i couldnt save the forks after the crash they did some crazy fork fix but ill clean up the welds & make it look purty, lol.

now for the wheels
the rims are dirty but in good condition but the tires are cracked and rotted ,i have a few pocketbike frames laying around because I hate pb's but love the motors.i would like to use the forks and 10" wheels,what you guys think ?

What will you do about the axle differences? The TH is a 5/8" axle and those pb's are smaller and metric.
if I use pocketbike front fork the pb wheel would fit but a no good for TH wheel.i have used pb wheels on frames with bigger axle holes I made spacers out of old wheels ,you know when you take bearing out of wheels that pipe thats inside between bearing to stop you from over tighten them.

This one was a fox street scamp,now with X7 rear swing arm front forks and wheels.the original rear sprocket was made into a hub to accept a two piece go kart sprocket.It has different handle bars on it now.

Looks like it's a Trail Blazer not a Trail Horse. Dame frame but the handle bars have an outward bend to them on a Trail Blazer where the Trail Horse bars go straight. I've got a couple Trail Horse rollers myself and I'll be watching your build. :thumbsup:

Yep That is definately a Trail Blazer. I had one and basiclly turned it into a trail horse by heating and bending the bars .

If you want to sell the wheels that were on the trail horse let me know.

yeah the bar being bent outward sucks makes it feel like a way bigger bike.trailhorse or trail blazer this baby is gonna haul azz.
got it rolling decided to use the oem wheels.

now to pick a motor,

Last edited:
I really wanted to use my gx340 in this build but I would need longer jackshaft, it looked great in frame, then I tought about this 17t clutch I have to go on this big tec I was selling before, so I figured thats the combo . no big gx but big tec should do it.

well I tried to put the tec in and it sat to far to the right for my taste, so I decide to get a longer jackshaft to center the motor up in the frame .once I took everthing apart and then had to fight to get the jackshaft in place along with the sprockets I figure might as well put the gx340 in it . nothing like big cc motors in minis , and this is a midsized frame .feels like I was meant to have this motor in it

Last edited: