Tri-Sport brake setup

wjustice

On the older Tri-sports that had 3 band brakes, how were they configured. I mean, the right/left turning are a given but what about the 3rd jackshaft brake? I am assuming it was on the left handlebar but.... was it mounted high or lower then the turning lever and were they all 1 mount or 2 separate levers?

Well the only one that I had that had the band on the jack shaft was a one off that had a CCW 400CC engine. It had the jack shaft band on the left bar mount as well as the lever for the left side axle. The right axle band was there with the throttle. One night we ( brother in law Danny ) were doing repairs and noise was never an issue if we stayed on the shop side of the San Diego freeway as it was nothing but a bunch of oil wells and industrial business. Well I took the trike out and was flogging it hard back to the shop and when I hit the jack shaft brake it popped the chain and it just started out over the freeway and down into the residential area and it was past Midnight and Danny did not know I was down he road 3 blocks. I had to push that trike back to the shop a slight up hill trek.
I have hated band brakes ever since then for good reason ( THEY DON'T WORK )