triple flange hub!

I wanted to be able to change sprockets, wheel and tire combos. Ice, street, offroad. I also wanted to use a 8" wheel with the 4 on 4 hole pattern. Since you can only go so big with tires on a 6" wheel. I researched and found nobody makes a triple flange hub, and I didn't want to go live axle. I acquired a wheel, tire, 2 different hubs, a doodlebug rear wheel, and got to figuring! I made a hub alignment tool and after a lot of measurements I got to welding! I ran into a problem when it came to bearings, since the doodlebug wheel had a 12mm. bearing and I have a 5/8" axle. I was able to make it a 2 peice hub with the part that holds the disc removable, when bearings go bad. Getting it all to spin true was another task, but possible and tedious!

Has anyone else made a similar hub? And what does everyone think of this?

Attachments

Yup.
The hubs will take standard bearings if they are lined up on the outside. If not use a piece of 1-3/8id on the end and a 1-3/8”od as a spacer adapter between the hub and end piece.. I also got some 1-3/8” id and 1-3/8”od tube so you can mix and match. Wheel hibs, brake hubs,sprocket hubs...

Did you finish yours? Because mine is on the Aggie 97 and working awesome! I used standard 1,3/8" O.D. 5/8" I.D. bearings. I used 3, 1/4, 20 bolts to hold the bearing in place on the disc side.

Nice work gumpit! I drilled holes in the 4 on 4 hub to lighten it up a bit. I just have to pull the axle and the wheel assembly comes off. Then pull the disc and lug nuts. And the wheel comes off, easy! Making changing gearing wheel and tire set ups a breeze. 15 minutes and I can change out sprockets for more torque or speed on raceday!

Li'l Popeye

Hello,
I've made a similar hub. The rear hub can hold sprocket, wheel and discbrake. Bearings will fit inside the tube.
The front hub can hold wheel and discbrake.
To remove the wheel I have to take the discbrake off and the rim inside diameter will go over the part that holds the discbrake. It's a 6" wheel.

As good as it gets after the small welds. These welds are more than enough to hold.

My front and rear hub with the rim.

The tube what the hubs are made of is a 50mm tube. Bearings are size 47mm. Center hole size in the rim is 60mm.

Li'l Popeye

Thanks,
Yours looks nice, too.
Mine is made for parts (sprockets, bearings and rims) that are easy to get over here. More info about this minibike project here.