trouble shooting an old cat

I have an old cat that has a 79cc predator engine. i got it running for the grandkids to ride. Im ok it doesnt pull me very well. i dont want it to go fast until they get older. The problem I am having is it seems to randomly pop then the whole motor jerks then runs fine then it will pop again. the chain came off after that not sure what the problem is. New tires, rear sprocket, engine, clutch, and chain. It doesnt have a tensioner not sure if it needs one. any idea what would be causing the pop? The whole engine seemed to move when it did it. I think the front tire may need to be smaller? Its the same size as the rear. I think it needs skinnier ones? Its hard to turn.

Doc1976

I have an old cat that has a 79cc predator engine. i got it running for the grandkids to ride. Im ok it doesnt pull me very well. i dont want it to go fast until they get older. The problem I am having is it seems to randomly pop then the whole motor jerks then runs fine then it will pop again. the chain came off after that not sure what the problem is. New tires, rear sprocket, engine, clutch, and chain. It doesnt have a tensioner not sure if it needs one. any idea what would be causing the pop? The whole engine seemed to move when it did it. I think the front tire may need to be smaller? Its the same size as the rear. I think it needs skinnier ones? Its hard to turn.
It sounds like the "pop" you're referring to may be the chain hanging up due to misalignment. I've built dozens of bikes and not one time have I used a tensioner. If you know how to align the driveline, no tensioner will be needed. The tire size has nothing to do with the chain. Hard to steer how? Verify torque on the head bolt is not too tight. Are the forks bent? Pics would help.

Some other things you might check. Make sure the plate (the plate that comes with the motor) is tight and then make sure that plate is tight on the bike motor plate. Make sure the clutch key way is installed properly. Some of the clutches have a built in key way. Correct clutch for that motor would be 5/8 shaft. Your problems have nothing to do with it being a Cat mini bike. Alignment is very important.