Trying to find a replacement gear

My go kart's small gear is stripped and it can't be ridden until the gear is replaced. It's a Manco Phoenix Baja 200 (It's just like a Manco Dingo, they might have even just changed the name). Anyways, there's a 30 series torque converter, and attached to its shaft (not the engine's shaft, but the other part of the torque converter, its shaft) there's a small gear that connects the chain to the big gear (which is attached to the drive axle).

I'm not sure if this little gear is part of the 30 series Comet torque converter or if it's considered a Comet part, but it's attached to (by a key) the torque converters shaft (not the engines shaft, but the shaft for the other torque converter component).

Sorry my explanations:eek:ut: absolutely suck. I'll try to come up with a picture of some sort. The problem is, I would just take a picture, but the go kart is out of state where there's no internet. The next time I see the kart I want to be able to just change the gear and go.

Thanks in advance.

The sprocket should be a basic sprocket found on many minis and karts. They come in different bore sizes and pitches, so you need to count the teeth and check the chain size ( #35 or #41 most likely) and check to see if the shaft is 5/8 or 3/4 diameter. You can get replacement sprockets from gokartgalaxy, BMI, etc. You can also buy them from McMaster-Carr or Motion Industries, Tractor Supply, and lots of hardware stores.

If the driven is mounted on a jackshaft, you can buy a #41 9 tooth sprocket, with a 3/16 keyway and a piece of keystock for about half that price. The 41 will interchange with the 420.

Koolaid man, Try a bearing shop, some of them also get into, other things like gears and sprockets, If you don't have one locally, punch in "AKRON BEARING.com" I believe that will get you to their website.
dave

Thanks for the help guys.

From what I see, akronbearing.com doesn't have an online catalog or online store.

I'll search local then the internet. Thanks again everyone.

I found this
#9T Drive Sprocket 5/8" Bore # 41 Chain GoKart-MiniBike - eBay (item 370138274061 end time Jan-30-09 12:00:01 PST)
So, #420 is 1/2" tooth gap, and #41 is 5/8" tooth gap. I'm glad to hear it should work. And actually, I think that would mean less chance of stripping again. I just hope it's not a cheaper metal used in the ebay product.

My only real concern about the one in that link for half the price of the Manco brand sprocket is... I wonder if that extra part is attached to the gear. The gear probably won't fit if it's part of the gear. Can anyone tell by what the listing says? All it says is "comes complete with the set screw and a 3/16" keyway". I need the gear by itself. Thanks.

kbs8ball

that will not work...the hub it attached to the gear just like in the ebay pic. what you need is just the gear to slip onto the back of a tav driven pulley.