Trying to restore a Roddy rebranded Cat and need help with the brakes

I'm restoring the minibike my dad bought me in 1971 for my grandson. I have most everything except the brake caliper is missing.
I think someone mentioned that it was a rebranded Cat 300ss, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

45t

Some of the Cat bikes came with a Kelsey Hayes 200M brake caliper setup that uses brake pucks. Other Cat bikes had drum brake or scrub brake setups.

if you post a pic of the bike, we could assist you with identifying the model.

It had caliper brakes, with round brake pads slightly larger than one inch.
The attached picture isn't of my bike, but it is indicative of the mount existing on my bike.
Screenshot_20230402_191718_Adblock Browser.jpg
The bike has fold up foot pegs, and I'm still debating whether or not to use the original detachable handlebar, because it is so bent from me beating it up having fun as a kid. Other than the brake caliper, I'm still missing the kickstand and one fender. My dad bought it for me in 1971 at a yard sale for $50, and I rode it until I was about 17. The kickstand and front fender were missing from the day I got it, and over the years, the grips deteriorated, and the movers managed to punch a hole in the side of the engine. So I will have to completely replace it. The yellow-orange paint i stripped and repainted black, and the vinyl on the seat was completely split open, so I recovered that in alligator skin print vinyl.
When I get home later this week, I will try to post a few pictures of the current condition of the restoration.

Last edited:

45t

I’m wondering if you have a 300TT. They came with the chrome handlebars, disc brake, fenders on a small frame bike. The most noticeable feature of the 300TT is the unique school bus yellow/orange-ish color.

this is the 1969 300TT I had for awhile.
B29127E8-1FBC-47F6-8EFA-D8F926EB8E6C.jpeg

I’m wondering if you have a 300TT. They came with the chrome handlebars, disc brake, fenders on a small frame bike. The most noticeable feature of the 300TT is the unique school bus yellow/orange-ish color.

this is the 1969 300TT I had for awhile.
View attachment 300281
That is close, except that mine had a 'Z' shaped bracket that clamped across the underside of the top of the frame right in front of the seat and attached to the top of the engine.

I found a picture of the opposite side of your bike, but the clutch and brake are completely different than what I have.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

45t

That is close, except that mine had a 'Z' shaped bracket that clamped across the underside of the top of the frame right in front of the seat and attached to the top of the engine.

I found a picture of the opposite side of your bike, but the clutch and brake are completely different than what I have.

Thanks for the help.
Im curious about the Z shaped bracket? I’m wondering if it was an add on? Cat bikes didn’t come with a bracket on the top frame unless it was a kill switch relocate due to the cat gas tank on the bigger bikes. Also, the brake set up on my 300TT was modified by me to accept a drum brake. It originally came with a disc brake setup that was long gone when I got the bike.

I don't have one of these Cat bikes and know nothing about them but i appreciate the knowledge around here. I have been involved in vintage BMX restorations for years and I can appreciate the fine details that become so critical to getting it "right"! Keep the dialog going guys... you'll nail it in the end!

I believe the Z bracket is original to bike. The one on my 250X is painted same as the frame.
View attachment 300292
Yup, that is the bracket I was referring to. Maybe they put them on, depending on what engine they had at the time they built them. Mine had a Briggs & Stratton. My friend who had a similar bike had, I believe, a Tecumseh engine on his bike, but he didn't have the bracket on his bike.