Twin Coleman troubles

My fiancé and I have matching Coleman CT 200 U minibikes. Installed a TAV on mine. Installed one on hers shortly after. Ever since the beginning I have been noticing hers has less RPM at top and as mine does. With TAV installed and only the throttle screw cut I can get 35 to 38 mph. Hers tops out at 30 and feels like the governor is prematurely engaging. Out-of-the-box minded 21 hers did 19. Had the similar sound of just a lower RPM at top end. Any suggestions on what I can do to increase her RPM? I am not removing the governor and Will not. I can tell something is slightly difference between the two just by sound. Visually the throttle linkage and governor spring look identical. I did tighten up her cable to get a better response, it helped a little but not significantly. Please help.

toomanytoys

Chinese quality is so hit or miss. it’s a shame they can’t get their shit together. The bikes are nice but so many have problems. When I bought my daughters bt200x I had to look through 30 bikes to find one that was welded up straight.

I’d say hers has a slightly more sensitively governor and yours less.

you could play with spring position on the governor arm to make it less reactive. I believe moving the spring in will give the arm less leverage to pull the throttle back.

I shortened the spring that returns the throttle. That way I could open it with more force to make the governor have to work harder to pull it back.

SAS289

That's odd because if the belt shifted all the way the RPM should be very low at 30 MPH. Under full throttle the governor shouldn't do anything at that RPM.

There's a couple things you can do to eliminate the governor as being the issue. One is the "zip tie trick". This will stop the governor from pulling the throttle toward closed. If the bike is much faster than it is a governor issue or a weak throttle spring.

You could also pull the tank and move the throttle spring out on the governor arm to a different hole. In the picture the screwdriver is where the black throttle spring is hooked up to on a stock bike. Connect your throttle spring to where you see this one in the picture and test the bike. If it works it is ok to leave the throttle spring in that position. That's where mine is on both of my bikes.

20210413_164820.jpg

Last edited:
Chinese quality is so hit or miss. it’s a shame they can’t get their shit together. The bikes are nice but so many have problems. When I bought my daughters bt200x I had to look through 30 bikes to find one that was welded up straight.

you could play with spring position on the governor arm to make it less reactive. I believe moving the spring in will give the arm less leverage to pull the throttle back.

I shortened the spring that returns the throttle. That way I could open it with more force to make the governor have to work harder to pull it back.
Ok I was a little hesitant to play with it but it seems like when I put my finger on that governor spring it does respond more like my bike that’s exactly where I was headed. Just wanted some confirmation I guess. You are right they are both very inconsistent as I’ve been working on them both I have noticed very slight differences especially with the welds

That's odd because if the belt shifted all the way the RPM should be very low at 30 MPH. Under full throttle the governor shouldn't do anything at that RPM.

There's a couple things you can do to eliminate the governor as being the issue. One is the "zip tie trick". This will stop the governor from pulling the throttle toward closed. If the bike is much faster than it is a governor issue or a weak throttle spring.

You could also pull the tank and move the throttle spring out on the governor arm to a different hole. In the picture the screwdriver is where the black throttle spring is hooked up to on a stock bike. Connect your throttle spring to where you see this one in the picture and test the bike. If it works it is ok to leave the throttle spring in that position. That's where mine is on both of my bikes.

View attachment 291692
Ok, both u guys are right on the money where I was headed. I guess I needed confirmation. There are so many videos on repositioning the throttle spring also the zip tie method. I really just do not want to get into bypassing the governor. I still want it engaging. I’m gonna try shortening the throttle spring and drilling a new hole on the governor arm moving the spring out. I did, throw a zip tie on just to see. It sounded better on jacks.

They are fun bikes, amazing how different the two are. Both bought at the same time. Crazy. It’s like two different people completely put them together. I wonder how many 8 year old Chinese children it takes to build the thing.

SAS289

It's nice to have two bikes because you can compare things. You may want to compare the pulley alignment between the two bikes and make sure they are the same. And on the slow bike make sure the back wheel spins free. You don't want the brakes holding the bike back.

On a Coleman 200 with a stock engine, stock gearing, and a torque converter you shouldn't really need to do anything with the throttle screw. If the bike was ran on a flat road at full throttle there shouldn't be any governor action because you aren't even at max governed RPM (3600) and there is still a decent load on the engine due to the gearing. 3600 RPM would have the bike over 40 mph. This is just theory of operation talk.

What all that means is that even with a zip tie, relocated spring, or backed out throttle screw the bike should still top out at the same speed due to the power available against the gearing and load.

I’m sure they are the same, I’m really just honestly hearing a difference in the engine sound also. It’s completely different. It’s been that way out of the box. I understand what u are say, it’s real bizarre actually. Even with mine (the faster one), my TAV wouldn’t engage without the screw deleted. I’m confused, probably as much as u. Hers (the slower one) engages but not fully. Weird.

Nailed it!!! Moved the governor spring position. Also took a good amount of slack out of the throttle cable. Boom she’s got quite the hole shot now and this out at around 40! Hers is now faster than mine!! So that won’t work lol. I did the same to mine. Perfect! Both bikes easily get to 38-40 take off is perfect!! Love these things. Got two header pipes ordered, says they are made in America, off Amazon. We are going fast enough now. Next is the air intake. Headers and intake won’t really increase speed much, just probably run better, right? Love these things. So does my woman!! We ride almost every day! It was so rewarding to have something fun brand new, with a little bit of work make it so much better, then get to rip it around!!!! Great feeling!! Love our new hobby!! Thank you all for all the great experience u all have!

My pleasure!! I feel like I’m being the annoying new guy. I just love these bikes and I’m blow away at how helpful the minibike community is. I’m grateful for this forum

I grew up in the 80-90, what are some bikes from that era? I remember my friends having them when I was young. Always wanted one couldn’t afford them.