Unusual Tire Wear Problem

Hello so i have a money costing problem. My vintage Trailhorse has been going through rear tires since i got it. I have worn out 4 tires since October. (granted i don't have my license yet so i use it as my main source of transportation to and from school and riding wherever) I put a lot of miles on my bike daily. I have the original I think astro wheel on the back. If anybody is familiar with these original back wheels they have a sprocket hub adapter that goes on the wheel with the bolts and spacers that bolt the rim together. Well at first i thought my sprocket was drilled by an idiot cause it was really off center. My father has a full size mill and lathe with dro (yes im fortunate enough to have access to these machines whenever) My father and i centered the wheel on the rotary table and then found the distance out to each hole on the adapter. While doing so we noticed that the whole adapter was warped. This adapter was made out of aluminum. we re-drilled the adapter plate along with the sprocket to dead center and it really helped get rid of the offcenterness of the sprocket. I now have less wear and tear on my chain. We did this around Christmas time so i have rode it everyday pretty hard for 3 months and now my tire is almost bald in one spot of tire then you roll it over and its stil got a lot of tread. I'm thinking this unusual wear on the tread is from that aluminum adapter warping from the sudden jerk of torque. I might add in that i have a 10t clutch to a 55t sprocket. I am going to try and machine up a steel sprocket adapter to bolt on to the existing wheel. Any of you guys ever have the same problem with this or have any suggestions for me? Any help or ideas would be great! I will have some pictures soon i haven't taken my rear end apart yet to get view of it to take pictures! Thanks guys!!

buckeye

You keep skidding the tire at the exact spot everytime you stop.
That takes talent.:bowdown:

Just on part is bald? Weird.
Pictures might help.

How are the wheel bearings? It almost seems the wheel center axis is off too, and that part of the tire rubs against a fender as the radius changes. Measuring the radius all around the wheel and tire might lend a clue. Pics, as noted, will help as I don't know if you mount rear tire to a hub.

The other question is what kind of tires are you using? Either crap tires or youre wheel isnt running true. I kinda doubt it has anything to do with the sprocket but I suppose its possible

capguncowboy

I agree with the others. I'm betting your wheel or tire isn't balanced properly, or it's out of round and the wobbling is effecting one part of the tire more than the rest. I would suggest propping up the bike and giving the wheel a spin. does it wobble or appear to be off balance?

Pictures would definitely help

Like it said above, a picture would be good. The old saying, " A picture is worth a thousand words".

the same wear pattern on all the tires, at approx the same spot.....???

Do you put in a new inner tube when you put on a new tire? How does the bead look on the wheel rim?? Is the axle straight ("true").