Valve lash

What is the best way to set valve lash on a Briggs 5hp? Like what is the best way to take material out to open the valve lash? File? Sand paper?
I have seen the block of steel with the hole in it and the you lightly sand material away to achieve the proper clearance but I do not have one. Which is better to to remove material from, the lifter or the valve? :shrug:

Place the valve in a vice with "soft" jaw inserts, with the end to be filed just barely sticking above the vise jaws. Make sure it is plumb in the vice! As 125ccCrazy has correctly stated use a (very) fine file- we use a "needle" file for this purpose. Use slow smooth strokes and make sure your file is positioned level during the strokes, as when you finish you MUST have a square tip. Whatever you do, do NOT attempt to use any type of power tool like a grinding wheel, Dremel Tool, etc., for valve lashing as you will take off too much material, and you will have to purchase a new valve- don't ask me how I know!:doah:
Michael

125ccCrazy

also...be sure that you have the side cover on the engine when your setting the lash...it has to support the cam or your lash will be way off..

my shade tree method: (1) take a block of 2x4 lumber approx 8" long, (2) drill a 1/4" hole centered at 90degrees in the 2" side towards one end of the board (I carefully measure and drill halfway from both sides to meet in the middle), (3) use approx 15" strip of emery cloth, (4) find a flat surface, hold the emery cloth end with your left hand, place the valve stem in the hole, hold the 2x4 board on it's side with your right hand with your index finger applying some pressure on the top of the valve, (5) draw the board towards you over the emery cloth one pull, and (6), turn the top of the valve slightly and repeat step (5) over and over.

I cut both intake and exhaust valves approx .075" on an Briggs Animal engine I race. I used a electric grinder to take a bunch off, then finished it up with the above hand method. Takes some time, but I got very good results.

I plan to use the same method to adjust the valve lash on my Briggs 5hp Fun Power engine to set lash.

i just hit them with the grinder and smooth out with file and sand paper. too much lash isnt a dealbreaker. youll actually get more compression and power from it since the valves stay closed longer. these engines have rediculous amounts of overlap to make it easier to pull the rope :eek:ut: