Vanguard 13hp?

I have a generator that has a B&S vanguard 13hp OHV. electric start all that, 1" shaft.

anyone use these? im guessing theyre good motors they cost like $1,000.

any performance parts a builders that know these motors?

:smile:

I read up on the Vanguards and they are top of the line engines.:thumbsup:
They should feature strengthened rocker arms that pivot on a shaft, plus a dual ball bearing crankshaft.

Wow nice, guess I have my hands on a great engine. I tried looking for performance parts or anything like that and havent come up with anything.

I havent seen any kart engine builders either.

So im going to leave it exactly like it is stock with governor.

ever since I used a comet T/C (on a honda 5hp) I dont really see a need to use a centrifugal clutch ever again... even though ive always had max torques on my karts etc.

If I put this motor on a mini with a max torque would it be about the same as using a 5hp with a T/C?

I KNOW there are going to be obvious differences such as the torque itself but im talking about top speeds

I just dont know what I could do with it, make a street rod bike or a fat wheeled off road monster.

-I already have a off road type of mini with a 5hp honda..T/C

And I have a Muskin Cat frame I plan on putting a honda 4hp ohv, or 5hp flathead and running some 5" wheels and a max torque clutch...basic old school setup.

opinions are greatly appreciated

:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Only problem is output shaft will be tapered, may need to be machined straight for use with clutch.

i've been searching all over the place for info on this motor.

all I really want to know is what kind of shaft it has, tapered or straight.

its on the generator still, im was pretty sure all generators had tapered shafts:shrug:

questoin: why arent there any clutches or drive systems for tapered shafts or bushings that fit in place to take off the taper?

thanks

engine #245437 0559e1 0206 0349

Neck

Growing up is optional
A clutch drive for a mini bike will need a key way due to the shock loads from firing pulses on a semi solid driven back wheel, or the taper would just break loose, then the clutch would just start chewing on the crankshaft. You could get a machine shop to machine you a tapered clutch but you would still have to have it (the clutch) and crankshaft cut for a key way. A generator doesn't need a key because the armature can dampen the firing pulses, and not brake the taper loose (because it's always spinning). Make any sense?

ahh yes I could see how the clutch would just want to ride off the taper. or there would just be a lot of force on the bolt. I know machining the shaft is a complete teardown and rebuild, and then I wouldnt be able to use it on the generator again If I had to. bummer. Maybe I should save up for a better welder:eek:hmy:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Just keep your eyes open, you'll find a deal on what you want sooner or later, after you've been in this hobby a while the stuff starts to find you!