>>>> Vintage Comet clutch spring help <<<<

Where would a guy even begin to look for vintage Comet clutch springs? I have a very rare 3 1/8"OD 1/2" bore vintage Comet clutch and the springs are too light, I can't get the engine to idle low enuf to work. I need heavier springs. I know they make different rpm springs for the Comet 350 series and I tried them but they are 1/8" too long and won't hold the weights tight to the hub. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

george3

Where would a guy even begin to look for vintage Comet clutch springs? I have a very rare 3 1/4"OD 1/2" bore vintage Comet clutch and the springs are too light, I can't get the engine to idle low enuf to work. I need heavier springs. I know they make different rpm springs for the Comet 350 series and I tried them but they are 1/8" too long and won't hold the weights tight to the hub. Any help would be appreciated.
got pics?

delray

if the factory springs can't be found? could a guy find a stiffer spring at a hardware store that might still work or from a spring company that makes small ones just like that.....:shrug:

delray

did you guys every firgure out anything. i like to know because i have couple vintage clutchs that i believe they use the same spring setup.

Nothing yet, I have lots of springs for the Comet 350 (3 1/2") but nothing for this one. I assume its a Comet 300 (3") if there was such a model number (I'm just guessing). Is there someone out there with an old Comet catalog maybe get some part numbers?

jeep4me

Clutches like this, I think, were used on snow blowers. And the blowers drive train wouldn't engage until you squeezed the hand lever. They also used similar clutches with motors that were equipped with gear reduction units, so a lighter spring would be needed for that application.

Not sure where you would find springs, good luck and keep us updated, I have a similar clutch that's missing one spring.