Vintage out of production Firestone Balloon tires

Sprocket86

What's the lowdown on these ultra elusive jumbo big tires that seemed to be on everything back in the 60's and 70's?

From what I can tell they don't even appear to have a wheel, only a hub and axle.

They're super cool looking IMO and from what I can tell they are impossible to find.

Did only Firestone make these?

What exactly are you trying to do? If you find those tires, they are a arm and a leg. I have those on my El Burro and will be doing the wheel conversion.

Sprocket86

What exactly are you trying to do? If you find those tires, they are a arm and a leg. I have those on my El Burro and will be doing the wheel conversion.
Well I've always wanted a fat tire minibike and I have a lead on an El Burro chassis, fenders and belt guard. Basically a good solid start to a build.

I love the look of those tires and would like a set but I have a feeling they're to rich for me. Maybe not.

Why are you converting them? I see a lot of big tire minis that no longer have these tires when they were new.

Last edited:
Well I've always wanted a fat tire minibike and I have a lead on an El Burro chassis, fenders and belt guard. Basically a good solid start to a build.

I love the look of those tires and would like a set but I have a feeling they're to rich for me. Maybe not.

Why are you converting them? I see a lot of big tire minis that no longer have these tires when they were new.
I'm converting the wheels because you can't find those tires and mine are dry rotted. Wheel adapters, 8" rims and 20x10x8 Carlise tires.

I'm converting the wheels because you can't find those tires and mine are dry rotted. Wheel adapters, 8" rims and 20x10x8 Carlise tires.
Ahh okay. That's to bad they're dry rotted. Did you ever get to ride your El Burro with these tires?

How much is involved to convert these bikes to a modern Balloon tire like you described above?

Sounds like it's a pipe dream for me to find a nice rolling chassis with these tires in usable condition. I really need to start looking south of the border in Michigan.

These tires were designed for maximum flotation, only requiring 2-3 psi. Normal tires would not stay seated on the rims at these pressures. There were different sizes too, based on inflated circumference. Most of the 6x6 amphibious vehicles, including the Sperry Wedge, used 63" or 65". The original tires on my 5hp Tricubs were 59". I have also seen 61". Once in a while you can find used 63" or 65" for sale for small fortune plus 1st born child. I've never seen any usable smaller ones for sale at any price.

So it looks like I'll never own a mini with these as they are to scarce and $$.

I'm going to assume they didn't last or hold up very well.

Someone needs to repop them lol. The 3 wheeler enthusiasts really seem to like and still use them on the Honda 90 ATC.

I have 5 bikes with the balloon tires still intact.. (2 El burros, a Trapper Trail Bike, a Terra Cat and a Sport King ) By far they are the best sand bikes ever.. However when using the original 45-50 year old tires its always a risk that they will fail.. The smart thing to do if you are planning on riding the bike regularly it to update to a modern tire I prefer the 19" x 10 x 8's but a lot of folks will go up to 22" in most cases the original axles can be used with an adapter plate and a 2" offset wheel, its a very simple conversion.. The ride is different, because most new tires cannot run at 2-3 lbs. of pressure, but you will not have to worry about the dreaded "pop"..