Wards/gilson jackshaft needed

capguncowboy

Get a standard 14" 5/8" jackshaft and 1-3/8 x 5/8" bearings from OldMiniBikes. Trim down the jackshaft and throw on the sprockets you want to run and you'll be set.

They're pretty easy to set up

capguncowboy

The stock Gilson jackshaft mounts are for 5/8, so i was just suggesting a replacement that would look correct and require little to no modifications

Do I need to run collars on each side to hold the shaft in place? Trying to order everything at once to save on shipping. Thanks for all the info. Truly helpful.

Do I need to run collars on each side to hold the shaft in place? Trying to order everything at once to save on shipping. Thanks for all the info. Truly helpful.
Yes you will need collars on each side , I drill a small divit in shaft for the set screws to sit in for a tight installation !

Thanks guys for all the help with the jack shaft. Almost done. What’s the best way that mount the rear sprocket ? Running the stock 2 piece wheels. 3. Bolt pattern. I know I will have to get a blank and drill the holes to match. Running a 48 tooth 41 chain based on the ratio I chose with help from another gilson builder on this site.

If you have the original sprocket, you can drill using the old one as a pattern--just make sure you center it well. I have been using 1" spacers (use threaded rod connectors) to properly set off of the Bosch wheels. Then, use a step drill and drill the sprocket center out to 1 3/8" (snug) and use a 5/8" ID flange bearing on the sprocket. This saves the wheel bolts from twisting and snapping the rim under high torque.