Welding Table Project

I have been looking to build a welding table for a while, as the ones that are available are pretty pricey and not what I want... the one i would love, my dream table, is way out of my budget... so... since I have the capability to build one... I decided to build one the way I wanted... although this is not a copy, it was very much so inspired by the $4300 strong hand tools welding table I would love to have... this will cost me a fraction of that... I will try to document this as I go along... Will be building two tables, but they will fit together like a puzzle.... will also use the already available clamps etc... and I can program and put together custom fixtures for misc projects at very little cost to me, other than material...

Modular welding table... approx. 96" x 46" when bolted together... holes are .625", spacing 2", between plates, including when bolted together 1.75"... so that i would have no problem using anything available from strong hand tools... or other available clamps and fixture systems... this will come in handy for future minibike and non minibike related projects...

the frame for under the plates, will be 2" x 1" prob 3/16 wall, unless i can get away with something thinner walled? even at 3/16" thick the cost for the platform's material will only be around $90 each table... working on pricing all material...

before i start pricing and grabbing materials, anyone have any professional input as to how thick the material should be... i am going to be building anything from rear ends, to a chopper frame eventually... but would like it to be as thin as possible, while still being safe..

plates- .625" thick
tubing 3/16" wall thickness

could i use thinner material and still have a great life long welding table?

Your gonna have to compromise on the thickness of the top. Like you said price and weight become the biggest factor. If your gonna make it modular I think I would make the structure extra beefy, the 3/16" may flex still.

I made a welding table at my previous job. The top was 3/16" with 3" channel structure and 2-1/2" tube legs. It worked good for a nice flat table but you couldn't beat on it with a BFH. I would have to move to a table with a 1" thick top to beat on something. This table had 5" I-beam structure and you needed a forklift or crane to move it.

Do you have a link of the table your trying to copy?

The woods and field beside and behind my house was a dumping ground at one time, I found an old 3'x8' equipment fuel tank made from 1/4" tread plate steel that I plan to cut my welding table from. I have some old bent trailer axles from the many I replace here at my fix all shop, folks bring me their trailers for repair because I charge 50% or less than a traditional shop.Mine will be a flat top and I'll adapt it as I go along, I have an old chop saw vise maybe two that I'll make provisions for to help hold stuff but for the most part it will be a simple flat top.

Your design looks versatile and user friendly, I hope I can make my simple table do what it needs to do without too much trouble. I've been welding on an old workbench with a big old steel TG&Y store shelf attached to it, the thing sits outside and is a catch all right now but it needs replacing because it's not thick enough. I have a major clean up and rearrange job to do on my shop and will be placing all my equipment inside once and for all, then I can fill my storage building up with more toys.

That is amazing
Good luck, that will be the nicest welding table i've ever seen. I know a kid who builds motorcycle frames and he uses a stronghands table.

That is amazing
Good luck, that will be the nicest welding table i've ever seen. I know a kid who builds motorcycle frames and he uses a stronghands table.
Checked out that site selling the tables, and its great... they offer a small basic welding table worth having, all the way to 12 feet long.

G your split design is great. Two identical tables are good to have. Nice work with the recent TIG welder, Jody is an amazing teacher.

Jon

That is amazing
Checked out that site selling the tables, and its great... they offer a small basic welding table worth having, all the way to 12 feet long.

G your split design is great. Two identical tables are good to have. Nice work with the recent TIG welder, Jody is an amazing teacher.

Jon
thank you... i would love a stronghand table, but cant swing the price, e being more of a hobbiest... still waiting on an answer for some quotes on material

It would be interesting to see how much savings is there for someone who can make their own.
there will def be a huge savings over the one i would buy if i had unlimited resources... i would say at least a couple thousand in savings... but i will detail any costs too... if the laser i used cut this thick of material, it would be very very inexpensive my cost... but still waiting on a quote for use of an hd plasma or stronger laser, i still suspect there will be a huge savings

I got that from the drawings, however I do not weld or fabricate enough to justify more than a simple but flat and level steel table and I have been without even that for far too long. Were I younger and more able I'd have such a table, I used one at Eagle Stone Fireplace shop to make custom fireplace doors and since they were high end and being plated the precision had to be 100%. The fireplace shop and my youth are both long gone now.:laugh:

If I'm not mistaken, LSC is trying to make something like this:

View attachment 79891

I got that from the drawings, however I do not weld or fabricate enough to justify more than a simple but flat and level steel table and I have been without even that for far too long. Were I younger and more able I'd have such a table, I used one at Eagle Stone Fireplace shop to make custom fireplace doors and since they were high end and being plated the precision had to be 100%. The fireplace shop and my youth are both long gone now.:laugh:
i definitely understand and honestly i like just the simple plain table also, but figured id love this one... and i want to be able to spit it to save space, when i dont need as long of a table... should end up being a great value for the price spent... will help me do things i really want to do/try

You have shown us all that you have mad skills so you need a table worthy of your talent that will help you become an even better fabricator. I loved doing fab work but when I broke my neck it damaged nerves and my hands shake, I can still weld trailers and other things not requiring precise welds but I miss being able to do small and precise work and especially my ability to make it pretty. I used to make a weld look like a row of coins and still can lay an acceptable bead but I use reading glasses under my helmet so I can see better, at least my welds don't look like turds laying atop the metal with no penetration. You'll do awesome things with such a table, we have seen what you've done without one and we are quite impressed so full speed ahead my friend!
i definitely understand and honestly i like just the simple plain table also, but figured id love this one... and i want to be able to spit it to save space, when i dont need as long of a table... should end up being a great value for the price spent... will help me do things i really want to do/try

You have shown us all that you have mad skills so you need a table worthy of your talent that will help you become an even better fabricator. I loved doing fab work but when I broke my neck it damaged nerves and my hands shake, I can still weld trailers and other things not requiring precise welds but I miss being able to do small and precise work and especially my ability to make it pretty. I used to make a weld look like a row of coins and still can lay an acceptable bead but I use reading glasses under my helmet so I can see better, at least my welds don't look like turds laying atop the metal with no penetration. You'll do awesome things with such a table, we have seen what you've done without one and we are quite impressed so full speed ahead my friend!
wow, thank you!