went to New York....bought a minibike

markus

I had to make a cannonball run this weekend to pick up a camper I bought up in New York. roughly a 2700 mile round trip, we did it in 50 hours, even had time to by a minibike:smile:

This was spur of the moment to go, as I just accepted a new job I was offered and won't have as much time off as I have right now, so we needed to haul ass and get up there. Made the decision to go Friday morning, I did quick search of craigslist up the in the Hudson valley area sent out e mails as nobody had #'s on there adds:thumbdown: well one guy did call back Saturday morning. When I got back to him we were only 30 miles south of him at that point and he was actually only putting us about 10 miles out of our way for our final destination up there.

I Thought it was the bigger italjat/indian bike pretty much like a few of the bikes I already own, it was a good enough price. We get there, go into his garage and I see its the little mini one:thumbsup: Not something that could even ride but I always thought they were cool as they are soooo small. Seat is mint, important stuff is there and in good shape, no hacks other then some custom hand painting, I guess the kid that used to own it really liked Elvis, king Tut, and Sinatra (they painted "my way" on the front number plate):eek:ut:

Anyway, I snatched it up, threw it in the back of my truck and headed up to another hour or so and picked up the trailer (another adventure in itself....good thing I brought the 4wd!)

bike and trailer, both little guys

Handlebars are right level with my kneecap,

trying to show the size of the bike

the bike looks like a easy clean up! And as for the camper? why drive 2700 miles for it? is there something im missing? i really like the color.

I had an Italjet when i was a kid. It was my second dirtbike. I loved that little thing! Im gonna get another someday, and my 3rd bike. A XR75.

Josh

Last edited:

markus

Love them both. Is the Camper a Crosley? Very Nice
thanks, the camper is an Eriba "Puck"

And as for the camper? why drive 2700 miles for it? is there something im missing?
Just something I am into, and they are very uncommon in the states as they were a European import so they don't pop up local too terribly often. cool thing is it is the same year as my other one, and they were built 5 units apart in 1967 over in Germany

Get on that thing and ride!!!!
I sat on it today, only way Id be able to ride it is if I make it a hardtail or take some stuff off it. soon as I sat on it the chainguard was rubbing on the chain as its mounted to the frame not the swingarm, not to mention its so sort the handlebars are right were my knees need to be. They definitly made it child specific, no 200lbs 6ft riders allowed!!!!

markus

Did it belong to Elvis? :eek:
actually a young Egyptian named Tut JR, his family moved to the US in 1975 and opened a fruit stand in Memphis oddly enough. to keep young Tut occupied his father had traded some gold he brought from the old country for this Italjet mini-mini Bambino to ride around the field behind the fruit stand. One day Elvis pulled up on his trike on the hunt for "Naner's" when he went to pay he realized that his wallet had fallen out of the pocket of his one piece!
Well the Egyptian family loved American music, and were very familiar with Elvis, they offered him as many banana's as he could fit into the backseat of his centaur. He was very grateful as he had the munchies somethin' fierce!

Elvis grabbed the paintbrush they were using to make up signs to put out on the road for the stand and signed young tut's bad motor scooter, said "thank you very much" and headed back to Graceland.

Few years later INS caught up with the family and deported them for some reason or another. The italjet mini mini bambino was found in '02 tucked in a corner of a dilapidated shed where the fruit stand once operated.

that's what I heard anyway:wink:

That story was just awesome.

Secondly, you have me intrigued with the camper. First question I have to ask is weight? I want something I can tow with a VW bug. I've been itching hard to build a small teardrop style but after running some numbers it is more cost effictive to just restore something.

markus

That story was just awesome.

Secondly, you have me intrigued with the camper. First question I have to ask is weight? I want something I can tow with a VW bug. I've been itching hard to build a small teardrop style but after running some numbers it is more cost effictive to just restore something.
They weigh about 700lbs, and towing behind VW's is what they were designed for (that and mini coopers, etc..) They are tough to find stateside, there is one that just popped up in NC that needs a good cleanup but looks to be in real good shape inside for $1500, If I had not had money already tied up into the one in NY I would have been all over it!

I've had a few different style lightweight European campers in the last couple of years (I buy and sell alot) My favorite one is called a combi camp, its a folding tent camper that opend in seconds and has huge living space inside, it weighs about 400 lbs and han hold and store alot of stuff.

my tow vehicles are a 1963 stock powered VW singlecab and a WBX vanagon westfalia, I only took the ford up because we had to make the trip in 2 days.

PM me if you want the info on that puck that's FS

actually a young Egyptian named Tut JR, his family moved to the US in 1975 and opened a fruit stand in Memphis oddly enough. to keep young Tut occupied his father had traded some gold he brought from the old country for this Italjet mini-mini Bambino to ride around the field behind the fruit stand. One day Elvis pulled up on his trike on the hunt for "Naner's" when he went to pay he realized that his wallet had fallen out of the pocket of his one piece!
Well the Egyptian family loved American music, and were very familiar with Elvis, they offered him as many banana's as he could fit into the backseat of his centaur. He was very grateful as he had the munchies somethin' fierce!

Elvis grabbed the paintbrush they were using to make up signs to put out on the road for the stand and signed young tut's bad motor scooter, said "thank you very much" and headed back to Graceland.

Few years later INS caught up with the family and deported them for some reason or another. The italjet mini mini bambino was found in '02 tucked in a corner of a dilapidated shed where the fruit stand once operated.

that's what I heard anyway:wink:

Hahahahaha! :thumbsup: