what is it?

there is a model and serial # on pull start cover.is that it and how do you break it down.there is a tag on engine plate but not readable anymore.the engine looks to be original.

the model # on cover is 143-604072
serial # is 0151 14936

Last edited:

gbones

from what i was recenlty told by a member here, bird used that neck brace from '70-'71 and later. i have a duck with that neck brace.

it does look like an sr on the chaingaurd.rear fender was repaired (brace added to it)looks like the only mod done.the guy i bought from said it was a pit bike for Macon (Georgia) dodge dealer in the 70,s.

Last edited:

gbones

can you get a close up pick of the chain gaurd? on my frame there was a small hole in the back (where your chain gaurd mounts in the rear) but i welded it in, and a few other small holes.

the sticker on the forks,just says not for street or highway use.pic is close up of sticker on chain gaurd.there is a small hole in the back end of chaingaurd with a screw into frame.

Last edited:
Your engine is a Tecumseh with Sears numbers. The Tecumseh number for that is H35-45314G That would be 3 1/2hp. The emblem on the chainguard like orbiting satelites is the Sears Roper logo. Does it have a 5" rear wheel? Sears sold Drovers that looked just like the Duck, but with 5" wheels. This brochure shows one a little earlier than yours. http://www.minidoodle.com/id196.htm

Last edited:
Jim it has 6 inch wheels (410/350x6 tires)on it and they look original.It had the chain on it,i took it off because it was locked up from sitting.Also the chain gaurd is different

The one in the brochure is an 60s model. That is a Sears/Roper logo on your clutch cover. It has a Sears numbered Tecumseh. Maybe they switched to 6" wheels on the later ones, so they could sell the Ducks as Drovers at Sears. The 60s Ducks and the Sears drovers were the same bike other than the 5" and 6" wheels. Yours is a 70s model. Here is the same logo on the front of a 71 Sears. Whatever the name, Duck, Drover, or model # 131.XXX.XXXX, It came from Sears. Some of the foil tags on the engine plates on my Sears/Bird/Ropers say Sears Roebuck, some say Roper Manufacturing. They have model #s starting with 131. The satelite logo only came on the ones sold at Sears. Penneys had Foremost, and if it had a Bird logo, it most likely would have looked like the one pictured below.

Last edited:

edwin

the sticker on the forks,just says not for street or highway use.pic is close up of sticker on chain gaurd.there is a small hole in the back end of chaingaurd with a screw into frame.
thats clever logo for sears robuck (SR) i like it ! or sears roper.