What model is my indian?

Bike has been in the family since around 1970, I know it's an earlier model because it's rear kick. I was told years ago it was a mm5a.......It's been broken since the 80's and I have searched high and low for the part showing in the other pics. Any help is appreciated.

markus

I only have forward kick motors here, so I don't have the that part:sadcrying4: The part number is 18-4011 if you don't already know that and its listed as "DISC, operating" in a 1972 MM-5A parts manual.

I'd start with the Gary baker at www.indiandirtbikeparts.com Indian Dirt Bike Parts specializes in NOS parts for the Indian Dirt Bike, see if maybe he has that particular part. There is another guy that has part listed that might be worth a try as well the address is:
<H1>Eye of an Eagle Cycle Parts</H1>

I've got some stuff from these guys as well (italjet). They have some clutch parts IIRC It might all be for later models but worth a shot at contacting them with a part number. eBay Store - Britalia Imports: Ducatis with belts, Moto Guzzi, Triumph

Good luck, Yes you have probably around '70-'71 MM-5A(oval numberplate chrome pipe) :thumbsup: I still can't decifer years I believe mine to be a '72 thats right about the time they started to appear with forward kick from what I can tell and mine has a metal flywheel cover where the later ones went to plastic, '72 also had a low mount front fender at least in both italjet and Indian literature that I have.

Welcome to the site! A nice little bike! There are a lot of those popping up since the pawn clowns put them in the spotlight! Good to see someone just ask a question about them that does'nt metion the price! Good luck you came to the right site!

mybiz

In my opinion the MM5A is the correct bike. Never did care for any bike that you had to kick start forward. :updown: I hope to own a little Indian someday.:cool:

The Indian MM5A with the forward kick just plain worked for kids. They sat on the seat and just had to push forward a natural thing when the bikes came with training wheels. So the feet were on the pegs ( No need to ballance ) and stand up.
Now after the learning curve of riding was acheived the wheels came off and then the two stages of opening up the air flow to the engine by drilling out the intake manifold to a larger opening and cutting out the openings in the little plastic air cleaner. Zip Boom Bah you got a real motorcycle.
I have one original owners manual for a MM5A just chocked full of intructions of how to keep your Mini Mini running geat.
Steve :scooter:
PS: Keep Chumbly's fat A$$ of your Mini Mini LOL

Now look at that I just gave away the big secret of how to hop up your Indian Mini Mini and I would bet there are a lot of original Mini Mini's out there that are stock and never modified
The sidewalk speed was about 12 MPH and first stage modification booster speed to about 18 MPH and the final stage was a Whopping 25 MPH
The races @ Saddleback and Indian Dunes were the best to watch all the twists and turns and the way over the top parents made for a great event.
I have seen 6 year old riders with a full set of ABC professional leathers special MX boots and helmets and tiny little motocross gloves from knobby Shop International and the dead serious attitude that they were 100% a racer.

mybiz

I can't disagree about the forward kick being easier for the beginners to use. i use to own a rickman It to had some back wards stuff on it also.:doah:

markus

The Indian MM5A with the forward kick just plain worked for kids. They sat on the seat and just had to push forward a natural thing when the bikes came with training wheels. So the feet were on the pegs ( No need to ballance ) and stand up.
Now after the learning curve of riding was acheived the wheels came off and then the two stages of opening up the air flow to the engine by drilling out the intake manifold to a larger opening and cutting out the openings in the little plastic air cleaner. Zip Boom Bah you got a real motorcycle.
I have one original owners manual for a MM5A just chocked full of intructions of how to keep your Mini Mini running geat.
PS: Keep Chumbly's fat A$$ of your Mini Mini LOL
I'd love to come across a downswept pipe and bigger top end assy that was popular for them back in the day for mine.

mybiz

I don't know what all parts this guy has but you never know maybe one of those hard to find parts.:shrug:

We still have a large inventory of parts for the Indian and Ital Jet two cycle line of mini cycles. All Models, We have cables, rings, pistons, gaskets, light bulbs, and many other parts.call 316-522-2545 for info.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/mcy/1718018362.html

Den

Indian mm-5a

I also have the Indian mm-5a . It is the first style with the reverse kick start . I am looking for Clutch gear for it. It works but is worn. p/n 58-20-6010/
If any one can help me please send me a private message. I have also been in contact with eyeofaneagle.com. I spoke with james. Very cool guy. He might have the parts you need . The reverse kick motor is a S5K1 motor. The forward kick start motor is a S5K2. The k1 is from 1968 to 1970 . k2 is 1970 on up . They changed the motor design specifically to improve the kick start problem the k1 had ...I have found out in the last couple weeks that those numbers are important to know lol ... Hope you find your parts ...
Den

Den

Indian mm-5a

Yes , I just ordered parts from him today as a matter of fact. Very cool guy and knows what he is talking about. He totally hooked me up !!!!Hoping my Indian will be up and running within a couple of weeks ...