What throttle is this?, I'm stumped

Addicted 2 Minis

It's not often when I can't figure something out but this throttle assembly has me STUMPED!. It was on a 1968 Bonanza and the bike appears to have original everything. The Bonanza guru's say that they used "Cherry" branded OGK grips and Doherty throttles. Mine has OGK grips but not with the "Cherry" logo and I can't match it up to any Doherty throttle. Also note, there's no tension adjuster or even a blank where it normally goes. The next thing is, the ball end of the cable pulls through the end of the throttle stop unlike the barrel ends that push in a hole in the side. Everything about it is different than ANY throttle I've EVER had.

IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2605.JPG

The ball needs a little brass Ferrell…give me your address I’ll send you one….I have one identical appearing…mine is made in Great Britain…the “adjuster” is a push on type…No adjusting at the throttle…I don’t have those…

you’ll adjust those throttle cables at the motor end

Addicted 2 Minis

The ball needs a little brass Ferrell…give me your address I’ll send you one….I have one identical appearing…mine is made in Great Britain…the “adjuster” is a push on type…No adjusting at the throttle…I don’t have those…

you’ll adjust those throttle cables at the motor end
That's another weird thing, all the British throttles have the push in ferrule, this one has the threaded adjuster. I guess I should have included that in the pictures. The ball end of the cable fits snug in the throttle tube, I don't think it had any type of adapter there. I've tried using BSA, Norton, Penton and Triumph as keywords but nada, zero, zip. Why oh why would an American minibike company source parts from that side of the pond when the market was flooded with rebranded Japanese ones is beyond me. Especially if it already has Japanese made OGK grips. I almost think the upper part of the throttle housing isn't the pair to the lower part. When put together, the outer casting on the upper part doesn't line up very well with the lower part. The only thing that makes me think it may be right is the grinder marks under the chrome where they grind off the flashing is ground in the same direction, making me believe the upper and lower do belong together.

Addicted 2 Minis

If they don’t align theyre not a pair…
I agree but you can see the front lines up but the back doesn't. The whole reason I'm looking for another is that the threads in the top part were stripped and the throttle tube was squished. I tried making the throttle tube round again but it started to crack at the casting seam. I'd repair everything if I knew it was all correct but I'm suspecting it isn't. The closest I've found was a Doherty throttle but all the ones I've seen have their brand stamped into the top part which happens to be the part in question.

IMG_2609.JPG

Addicted 2 Minis

Here's the Doherty that has the closest housing but the the ferrule is push in, not threaded and it has a plastic throttle tube. I was reading a post where the member said he replaced his throttle with the correct "Odeon" brand. A lot of old school guys say they also used "Cherry" branded OGK grips. Here's the kicker, Odeon and Cherry both have throttle sets that are almost identical, I'll post those separately.

twist455a-1435143994.jpeg twist455b-1094757233.jpeg

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Here's one of the Odeon throttles that the other member with the same bike said he replaced his with and the Cherry throttle that looks damn near identical but longer. The only other near original bike has what looks like an Odeon throttle but with different grips (last picture). The Odeon has a plastic throttle tube while the Cherry has a metal one. I also noticed the Cherry has a ball end throttle cable.
Odeon.jpeg
Cherry.jpeg
mb_200_019.jpeg

Last edited: