what type welder do you like to use?

Oldsalt

CaliJeff. You probably didn't mean pi ether. But I'll bet you like grits too! Regarding welding: Don't wory about how a weld looks. First is weld integrity. You can always grind a weld to pretty it up. get a cheap 220V crackerbox and some 1/8" 6011 and 6013. You'll be a stick welder in no time. If I can weld anyone can.

I have a old Lincoln 220 buzzbox. I don't need it often but when I do it always gets the job done. It was $50 on ebay from a guy here in town. Now that is about as cheap as welding gets

do the 110 volt stick welders offer anything?? or just frustration?

Also, could a person use the spool flux core wire for welding with one of those 110 tiny arc welders? just snip off a length and use the snippet instead of a traditional stick?

I have to agree with X-90 but will add.........any chrome moly tubing...TIG only.

110 mig with CO2 and .023 wire is a great sheet metal welder....low amps and does great on thin guage and is cheaper than a TIG

65ShelbyClone

I was reading that you can hook a TIG torch up to a stick welder to cut a lot of cost off the TIG investment. :weld: No high frequency starting and you still need a bottle of gas, but I've been thinking about trying it. My father has a Lincoln buzzbox I can power it with. He also has a little Lincoln 110 MIG that I use. If the metal is spotlessly clean, I can get smooth beads on ferrous steel with it. I also tried a spool of stainless wire on some 316L stainless tube and it worked really well(even with the wrong 70/30 gas mix). That low carbon stainless can take a buttload of heat without blowing through!

Then again, Harbor Freight had a basic TIG welder on sale for $200 a few weeks ago.

There was also a whole writeup on a site I frequent by a guy that used an electric motor and a 130A alternator to make a DIY DC TIG welder.

Hey Guys

I dont have anything fancy. Just a 110 Lincoln flux core Mig. I got it off ebay a few years ago. Refurbished $215. It has welded anything ive needed on a minibike or go kart. Axle mounts, engine mounts, frames. It has worked without fail. Only problem is i bought a 2lb roll of wire from ACE and the wire sucked! It didnt want to burn in good, and splattered allot! I took out the crappy wire and went up to home depot to get the Lincoln and it worked great!

Last edited: