What would cause this symptom, & what is a fuel line connector carb piece called?

So I have been working on my bonanza with a 3.5hp tecumseh. I rebuilt most of the carb and gave it a good cleaning. It runs pretty good, But sometimes when i full throttle it has split seconds of hesitation. Like seconds where it loses power. during those times it can sometimes make a backfire/popping sound.
Firstly, can you guys please tell me what the name of the piece circled in the picture, is called? I noticed the piece was cracked a while ago, I was wondering if the crack could be causing the symptoms i am describing (due to air being pulled into the fuel line), or is it definitely something else? I will be changing the part soon, it has just been really hard to find it online when i dont know what its called IMG_20170614_143651.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that photo would show the carb before you rebuilt it? I doubt your cracked fuel elbow is causing the bowl not to fill. There is something very funky going on with your throttle, no governor, and to a lesser extent, your choke. Until those things are corrected, it would be foolhardy to start chasing problems.

I agree Dave. By the photo, it looks like you're pulling the governor arm to achieve more throttle? If so that's not helping things. Also, regarding the fuel inlet, I've never had luck replacing them. They are press for from the factory. If someone has a good approach to this, I'd be interested as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for bringing the linkage situation to my attention. Im sure the way its hooked up is rather funny to you guys it just goes to show i have no idea how to hook up a throttle on a tecumseh. to hook it up correctly i will need some parts but not sure which ones and i have a really hard time navigating OldMiniBikes, it has so many items and categories. I feel really stuck, frankly im not even sure you can buy the parts individually that i need like the springs, cable fasteners (or whatever theyre called), individually. found a complete tecumseh control assembly,( https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/mini-bike-throttle-control.html ) but i already have most of it besides the small parts. If anyone can help me find what is missing from my setup & if its not too much trouble it would help me big time! I am trying to learn everything still.

when i got this motor recently, it has a cable connector on the governor, so i guess it confused me. IMG_20170615_115057267_HDR.jpg IMG_20170615_115125313_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Post the model and serial of your engine. I can get you pics of the correct set up. There are reproduction pieces for the earlier engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[MENTION=16651]drenchedgremlin[/MENTION] Yes, your throttle linkage and governor is not connected correctly, so here is everything you need to know about doing it up right:

Here is a carburetor I bought off of Ebay that worked very well. It's around $15.

OldMiniBikes Warehouse, who sponsors this forum, sells everything you need right here:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/mini-bike-throttle-control.html

Granted, that assembly is "more" than you need, so even if you don't want to replace the actual assembly, since you do have most of it, the price of their unit ensures you have the correct parts- the two springs, and the throttle cable clamp definitely.

Here is a link on this forum where a few people have posted photos, including one right out of the manual that will show you exactly how it's supposed to be done, as well as a couple of photos that show how some have rigged their throttles. Pay attention to post #3.

The governor actually works by centrifugal force (inside the engine) moving a lever against spring tension. Because of variance in this type of system, some simple adjustment is required. Here is the method I use, and note you may have to fabricate, or bend the rod that goes from the governor arm to the top throttle plate: (Disclaimer: USE THE BOOK)

Loosen up the 1/4" hex screw that holds the 2 pieces of the governor arm together.

Rotate the governor rod coming out of the block clockwise with some pliers or a small crescent wrench. DON'T force it.

Keeping the rod rotated, push the top of the governor arm to the right to cause the throttle to open to “wide open throttle. “

Holding all of that, re-tighten the ¼” hex screw.

Basically the governor rod coming out of the engine is all the way to the right when the throttle is all the way to the right.

Naturally this needs to be done with all links/springs in place and if you change anything you need to re-adjust as described.

Lastly, the Tecumseh Service Manual link can be found here in PDF.