Z Bender Tool

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
I've had enough of making Z bends with two pairs of needle nose pliers.

Can some one recommend a Z bend tool off e-bay that's worth getting ?

I've seen about 4 - 5 different ones.

Z Bender Tool for making carburetor linkage

Thanks, Cory

Last edited:
Funny..I just bought a new one and received it today. I always had the one in the second pic (but lost it)...works good and beats needle nose pliers.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Thanks Bill, I'll keep that in mind.

I think I'll pay more and get the more Pro set of pliers :shrug:

What the heck, splurge a little :laugh:

Hello, I used the ones in the top picture. They work good for the small dia. wire. 1/16 dia. On the larger diameter wire it does not work to my liking.
Regards

I've had the ones on the top photo for years. I also fly R/C planes so Z bends are an everyday thing.

Wire can be your friend or enemy with that tool. As stated, you have to be careful what you use. Some wire is brittle and instead of bending nicely tends to shear at the bends. Or you will get a piece that is so hard the pliers can't bend it correctly, and you end up with a lazy Z bend. Not good, as the angle lets the rod move slightly back and forth, which can change your setting, be it carb or control horn.

Honestly I now make my Z bends with a pair of dykes. Needle nose pliers are a pain. Quick,easy, and you decide the size of the bends, not the tool doing it.

Pretty simple, insert wire about 1/8" or so into the pliers and bend 90 degrees. Now stick the wire in further to the width you need to fit the linkage, and bend 90 degrees again. Grab the now formed 2 90's and twist it. Bam, you have a perfect Z bend.

If that's confusing, just YouTube it. I'd post a link but the system isn't allowing it.

Last edited: