"THE CHRISTMAS TRIKE" Redux

It's nice to see the finished product, I remember reading the entire post and following it. Then one day no more posts .........builder did a GREAT JOB. And if you read these......you did a very kind gesture and one day it will be returned!

Well I guess someone just had to find out how to make an old man cry. Well it is working and the little Trike just pops out at me and the color is spot on but a whole lot glossier than the original Trike. The seat is just great looking and so much other detail through the project the time and effort spent to get all the vintage parts. Add a sweet little girl with a big smile and it is easy to see why way back in 1973 there were people who wanted to market the unit. I just wish I knew where it went.
Steve

WOW just WOW!

First, I'd like to thank Steve for sharing the his family history with us, Eric for the wanting to bring the Christmas Trike back, and Don for allowing us to follow along on the build. You are an amazing and talented craftsman! :thumbsup:
I read this whole thread and the backstory, the comradery, the team work, the craftsmanship, attention to detail, the kindness, thought, and more importantly, the heart that went into rebuilding the Christmas Trike is nothing short of phenomenal! And like you Steve, it brought a tear to my eye as well.

The world needs more mini bike enthusiasts!

Shawn

This project has been like a game of soccer a work of many players each kicking the work along and the intense push by members to do the research to find all the right parts today. The parts were just off the shelf things back in 1973 . but the things like the wonderful seat and the scale of the frame took a lot of workmanship by many members and the eye popping paint job just tied the project together.
Steve

This project has been like a game of soccer a work of many players each kicking the work along and the intense push by members to do the research to find all the right parts today. The parts were just off the shelf things back in 1973 . but the things like the wonderful seat and the scale of the frame took a lot of workmanship by many members and the eye popping paint job just tied the project together.
Steve
It's so cool to see a community of like minded individuals come together and help build a project like that. :thumbsup:
You don't see a whole lot of that type of kindness and the want to help others nowadays. It definitely makes me proud to be a member of the forum!

Thanks again for sharing your story Steve. I bet it was neat to be able to walk into a go kart and mini bike shop and seeing a showroom full of mini's, karts and trikes and to be able to pick any and all the parts you needed to build your own project right off the shelf instead of waiting for parts in the mail.

Now that the trike has been built. Any plans for reproductions? I'd love to have something like that for youngest boy.

Shawn

Don't I wish that there was more than snap shots from the past. Now if there was a way to down load my memory bank that would be super.
All I can say is every kid that did ride the trike love the fun and the thrill of being ( Free on Three )
Steve

WOW just WOW!

First, I'd like to thank Steve for sharing the his family history with us, Eric for the wanting to bring the Christmas Trike back, and Don for allowing us to follow along on the build. You are an amazing and talented craftsman! :thumbsup:
I read this whole thread and the backstory, the comradery, the team work, the craftsmanship, attention to detail, the kindness, thought, and more importantly, the heart that went into rebuilding the Christmas Trike is nothing short of phenomenal! And like you Steve, it brought a tear to my eye as well.

The world needs more mini bike enthusiasts!

Shawn
Who is Eric? Did you mean KKK?

KustomKartKid was instrumental in shepherding this project with parts finding and fabrication, and was the one who launched this.

I must agree that our special history hook is Kustom Kart Kid and his work in finding just the right vintage parts was a lot of work and expense
on his very busy life. I supplied the drawing guide of the frame and the material used in it's construction. I was informed by Gerry about the progress and other members were given portions of the build like the seat because of their own special talents.
All this took lots of time to search and find the right material at a doable price. There was no building fund for this project it all was strictly out of pocket and driven by the love of today what we call a sport/passion.
Steve

Boy was I ever caught off guard by the visit by Don and his wife. They were headed out for a weekend of playing with their mini bikes. I had been out touring the neighborhood in a Jazzy mobility scooter that my friend Randy picked up at Goodwill for $135.00 and he charged up the batteries and it works perfect.
I still can walk but not too far so it was the right price.
What shocked me the most was Don Asked me where did I want to put it ???? So here I am with this unbelievable Trike from my past and it's so unbelievable to see it in person. And every part like the seat is proof that in every corner of OldMiniBikes we have so many talented people and their willingness to share with others not just their time but their money. The frame is Powder Coated can you believe that I don't know if they had that process back in 1972 and that choice was purely Don's doing. Here I am with 3 Grand Sons and 2 Grand Daughters and all still single and no kids. I will get some more pictures of the trike and will post a bunch.
Steve

buckeye

This is one time I wish I could have been there.

When Don sent me that picture, he told me he left it for you.
I had a lump in my throat.
I know how much that trike means to you and the great memories that surround it.
You are a great man Steve. So well deserved.
And Don. Now that's how it's done right there.
Two great men.