Crank Machine Work

Oh I'm not questioning his skills at all! I'm a follower of his work, and he does a damn good job at what he does.
I think I sent you a PM on a new crankshaft I had, and I think you didn't like the price I quoted you.

I have a used large bearing crankshaft, but I don't know if you have a large bearing sidecover.

I think I sent you a PM on a new crankshaft I had, and I think you didn't like the price I quoted you.

I have a used large bearing crankshaft, but I don't know if you have a large bearing sidecover.
I don't have a bearing side cover. The price was ok. I figured why buy your stuff and I already had the goods in the garage. Is that crank that you pictured earlier with the demesions for yellowh a bearing crank? Would those measurements still work on my non bearing crank????

I don't have a bearing side cover. The price was ok. I figured why buy your stuff and I already had the goods in the garage. Is that crank that you pictured earlier with the demesions for yellowh a bearing crank? Would those measurements still work on my non bearing crank????
The crankshaft pictured had a bearing on the front for a dual bearing block. I'm sure it is the same crankshaft as the one you have.

Three tecumseh crankshafts sent by a member...

I've just finished turning them down to 3/4", and trimming or extending them to 2-1/2"...

One already had a 5/16" tapped bore, the other two had 3/8" bores that were cut back, bored and tapped to 5/16" NF, so all three could have clutch retainers added...

They're ready to mill a keyway...

Hey, Those look familiar, they turned out nice! :thumbsup: You do some nice work yellowhand.:drinkup:
Thanks, MBDude...I milled them today at lunchtime...turned out nice, only minor glitch was that deeper woodruff key cut on one of them...still, it'll work just fine...

Do you want to leave them at 2-1/2" long and go with some recessed retainers, or shorten them down a bit?

Standard clutch is only about 2-1/4" wide, so you've got a quarter-inch of shaft poking out...

KB2ROCKET

I know almost nothing about machining but through will power I turned this gx390 generator crank down to .750 and milled a key slot and shortened it and drilled and tapped the end and I can tell you it was a lot of work for me at least so please do not take yellowhands generous offer lighty

Man, this one showed me no love...the splines were hardened and I chipped 2 carbide cutting inserts and then smoked 2 HSS 3/16" end mills when I cut the keyway...

The shaft is only 1-3/8" long, so the clutch must be mounted with the sprocket on the outside...I didn't cut a keyway on the retainer to ensure the clutch would be mounted this way...there is no key contact with the shaft if the clutch is mounted with the sprocket to the inside.

Man, this one showed me no love...the splines were hardened and I chipped 2 carbide cutting inserts and then smoked 2 HSS 3/16" end mills when I cut the keyway...

The shaft is only 1-3/8" long, so the clutch must be mounted with the sprocket on the outside...I didn't cut a keyway on the retainer to ensure the clutch would be mounted this way...there is no key contact with the shaft if the clutch is mounted with the sprocket to the inside.
SORRY It was a PITA YH. I really appreciate the work. Top notch as always:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well, I guess there is no way around it..... I might be sending you 3 crankshafts soon.
Should be some easy work as they only need to be drilled and tapped and 5/8" keyways.

By the way, nice work !!!!

Let me know if you want to work on mine...

Well, I guess there is no way around it..... I might be sending you 3 crankshafts soon.
Should be some easy work as they only need to be drilled and tapped and 5/8" keyways.

By the way, nice work !!!!

Let me know if you want to work on mine...
Don't send me any more hardened spline shafts...I can't afford the inserts and end mills it takes to machine them. Anything else is OK...

I have an update. YH is the bomb and he did a great job on my crank. :anon.sml:
Wait, that's probably not the update you want, is it?
Exactly what kind of "updates" are you after? :biggrin: