Which engine has the most potential or is your favorite & why?

What a great time we live in for enjoying small engines. I think there are more options easily available at fairly affordable prices than any other time in history.

We have antique & vintage engines, classic engines, modern engines, clone engines, 2-strokes & 4-strokes, engines constructed of iron or aluminum, etc, etc. It's truly amazing how many choices are available if you stop to think about it.

What I'd like to know is.... What engine offers the most potential to the true Hot Rodder?

If you wanted to build the single cylinder equivalent to a rumpety-rump cammed, barely street-able, high performance V-8. What would you build & why?:scooter:

Last edited:
OK I give up! What exactly (in detail) is a blockzilla? Al
X2!

I have heard the Blockzilla name before but the only documentation I've found is on the Raptor & the Animal.

I happen to have a 3.5HP & a 5HP B&S I/C

I also have 2 Tecumseh 5HP engines. One is an OHH50 & the other one is an older, valve in block type engine.

Don't forget the other question in the original post. The WHY? What is it about the engine that appeals to you the most?

Are there any sites you could recommend that are dedicated to the high performance modifications & building of these engines?

Thanks

Assuming this isn't limited to 4 strokes,a 101 McCulloch. Lots of reasonable priced hop up parts available and I love the feel and the sound when they're on the pipe.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I would say Tecumseh Star, Then Blockzilla, Then Briggs Animal
That's my top three.

The tecumseh makes the most power at the cheapest price, the inside is big, and it's just a little bigger than a 5hp briggs.

The Blockzilla is just a beefier bigger version of the 5hp briggs. Lots of parts for it, and the parts are easy to find.

The Animal is the best small OHV motor, with the most parts, and easy to find used parts for.

I believe the blockzilla cases come with a 3 inch cyl. bore that can still be punched out .100 over. They are used alot in the jr. dragsters. most are makin between 25 and 40hp....now that's pretty cool from a flat head briggs

Are there any sites you could recommend that are dedicated to the high performance modifications & building of these engines?

Thanks
just do a google search on blockzilla or jr dragster engine. there's quite a few of them. also if you look under mini bike drags on you tube, there's a couple of guys running them.....$$$$$$$

find a 5hp briggs. it must have a cast iron or steel sleeve in it for max durability and life. also it should have is at least one bearing for the crankshaft. americanpowersports.com is an awesome site. get a mikuni and throw it on there. straight pipe, take the gove out. put all nice new hardware in the guts. rods, tappets, valves, cam, the good stuff. if you want it to run like a champ, the engine better have the parts that can handle high rpms. theres nothing worse than a unsafe engine running 7000rpm when a rod goes through the block.

I'd do two briggs 5hps (on the same cart/minibike), with side pipes, and flame shooters, maybe better carbs. maybe i'd get yellow hand to make me a twisted header.