Mickey bike project

markus

I just dropped off what I had with a graphic designer for the decal. The guy was not in today of course so I'm guessing I will get a confusing call from him sometime first of next week :doah: Hopefully I'm gonna be able to make this happen....I needz that decal!

markus

Well I have manged to do a whole lot of nothing, well I did gt off my duff and finally order the parts for the engine and they came in the other day so today I worked on finishing the polishing up of the block so I can start rebuilding the internals.

Gotta start working on the shrouds and tank next, prepping for paint not polish though. Thinking about just cutting the flat square tin that covrs the fins on the left side out of some aluminum to polish instead of paint, I guess I could do that to the little front plate too....

markus

That looks awesome:thumbsup: Did you get the decal?

I'm working on it, I have not been happy with how its coming out (the shading on mickey's face is not transferring well). Unfortunately there is only one crappy close up to go on that is damaged. Its at a point where its good, and will probably never be noticeable but before I have them print it out I was gong to try one more thing.

Markus...your Mickey Bike looks awesome !

Like your other builds, this one has turned out better than new. :bowdown:

You are always taking in to consideration and resolving design flaws, and thinking outside of the box with component ideas that lots of time look better than the original....like your lug nuts in this one, and your drain pipe exhuast on the Digger (another amazing build).

Anyway, I just had to comment, as I think about this every time I read one of your threads.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, and ethics, as they relate to bringing these treasures back to life !

markus

thanks for the nice words everyone.

this is just a trial decal, the good, I made it myself on the computer, the bad it looks like someone made it on their computer :laugh:

this has been a bitch, I have spent hours tracing and drawing the mickey head, cutting and pasting, even now I have another idea to make it better so I'm gonna redo it again I think :doah: the other problem I have I still will probably have to take it all to a sign shop, the only clear film I have is actually like a
re-positionable film so its not a permanent stick, good for testing though I guess.

Oh yea, I may have done more damage than good when I was working on the block, It may be fine but I'm not happy with the cylinder wall. Guess I will just have to see what happens when it all back together....may be thinking about installing a different engine :no:

Last edited:

markus

Markus, I do a lot with graphics... can I help with this one? Glad to give it a shot.

Jon
I have vector trace software as well. I'll give it a try.
thanks guys, I'm gonna try one more thing today lets see how that goes :thumbsup:

"vector trace software"? Sounds Fancier than my "No.2 trace" hardware :laugh:

what is that wonderful color calleD? looks close to what i used on a go kart frame, it was teal metallic clear, duplicolor spraybomb. yours looks better than mine but it looks like you spent more time smoothing that baby out!

markus

what is that wonderful color calleD? looks close to what i used on a go kart frame, it was teal metallic clear, duplicolor spraybomb. yours looks better than mine but it looks like you spent more time smoothing that baby out!

Sikorsky blue, Its from Dupont in the Nason "effects" line of paints. Its laid over a gray sealer. They have some pretty cool colors, easy to spray, and inexpensive.

And yes I had to do a bit of filling, fixing, and sanding......Its come a long way from the Junkyard in Georgia where it was found :grind:

It had a Grant GT wood rimmed steering wheel for handlebars, but they would not throw it in with the deal when I bought it :doah:

Last edited:

markus

ok is the color in the can whats on the tank behind it? looks too bright on the tank. i like the more pastel kinda look the grey sealer gave it.
no thats one of my helmets, its not the same color. I had hoped it would match better (that what I had in mind) but it didn't.

markus

So instead of doing stuff like....finish the engine Ive been looking for "accessories":doah: I thought it would be kinda cool to have a helmet and goggles to go along with the bike...At first I was thinking of doing one the same color as the bike, but then I got to thinking just do it up more like the one off the image, which was just a white helmet and of course the goggles. I had a collector come to the house and buy all my metalflake helmets except for one (I hid it :laugh:) I was just going to paint one of the more trashed ones, but he made me to good of an offer on all them. So that left me with only one helmet thats too nice to repaint, and a late 60's Yamaha that I could have done, but its a children's size

So I have been kind looking for just a plain 'ol white helmet on the cheap that would fit my noggin'. I finally found one on ebay for thats clean and was only like 22 shipped.
It just came in today.

View attachment 66317

Now I have to hunt for more correct goggles......In my searching it looks like He was using surplus WWII goggles

(incidently the image on the mickey bike decal is this iconic image from the challenger I runs...only black/white drawn image)
View attachment 66318

I can find the goggles...only problem, they are REALLY EXPENSIVE!!!! so I dunno how bad I want the actual right now :anon.sml: I found some pretty cheap goggles that look a little better than the chinsy ones I have so I'll probably just buy them to get me by.

I also finally found the correct humped top handlebar clamps :thumbsup: Only cost me a little over $200 as I had to buy an entire bike to get them! Just blasted them and will start smoothing and polishing them up soon.

View attachment 66319

markus

Time to try and get a little farther on this thing! I to re-blasted the shrouds (did it months ago and they rusted up:doah:) and jumped on it as it was (at least earlier) pretty warm and calm wind here in FLA. well as they day progressed the temps are steadily dropping and the wind is getting brutal, so by the time I got around to mix and spray the clear I had to try and find a sunny spot where the breeze wasn't so bad....and I could still reach with my air hose!

The porch it was!!! All this stuff was clean I only had to spot a few areas with primer and block out, cleaned and hit it with urethane sealer, color is Nason silver effect (same "effect" line as the blue color on the bike) with a custom blend of Acme clear mixed with Diamont hardener (times are tough, using up stuff in the cabinet :laugh:)

I am hoping that I'm not going to go back out there later and find the clear running down off the parts :censure: Not becuase the "mix" but the cold is coming in fast!!!!

Last edited: