Mickey bike project

markus

thanks everyone, its getting there! Greg, yes that little 3hp shined up nicely I'm glad to hear you guys are riding up there, your new house/Neighborhood looked pretty fancy schmancy, I figured you guys were done for far as riding goes :laugh:

Very nice Markus! That M/T sticker looks great too! The rear wheel looks nicely centered in the frame? That is often a problem with the earlier frame styles. Did you do some adjusting to get the engine, clutch, chain, sprockets to line up?
Lets hope the sticker comes off and leaves the paint intact when the new, more correct one get s done! :blink: chain lineup is incorrect as of now, I used the spacer that were with the wheels, the sprocket that came with that set though was one of those older Azusa rivet sprockets so it sat closer to the wheel. I will have to take the wheel back apart and use shorter spacers to get it in closer as I want to keep the wheel centered. I messed up on that, when I threw that together for a quick mock up it lined up with the chain wear marks on the frame (didn't use an engine)...I realize now it lined up because they had drilled 4 new holes in the engine plate and moved whatever engine they used over a little. :doah: At least is only a matter of some shorter spacers for the sprocket!

Last edited:

markus

couple of little things done/changed

I found some yellow heat shrink tubing in my toolbox the other day so I installed it on the plug wire to give it that Accel wire look. Yea, it would look better with a boot on it I know, but I have always loved the the ground switch on these....plus I don't have a remote kill button.

When I pulled the shroud off to do the yellow wire I decided to try the flywheel screen in black instead of the silver I originally did in. To kinda break it up a little, I dunno if that is better or worse :shrug:

Something else I did on the carb but it did not come out as noticeable as I thought it would... I didnt think I could get it all polished due to the nooks and crannies so after media and cleaning etc. I used fine steel wool on it to lightly shine it and then polished the ribs and choke pull...things I could get to! Its kinda neat, but again really isn't too noticeable.

I was going to start working on a throttle linkage but yesterday I spotted one of those Kart linkage kits that has a tab off the shroud. I dont know If I will actually use it or not, but I am going to wait till it gets here to see how it looks or maybe just use some parts from it before I go forward with that (It was under $10 for the kit). The throttle cable could be a alot shorter with that style which is good because the mickey needs a LOOOOONG cable with the big bars.

I also was perusing the aisles of the hardware store for stuff I could make an air cleaner/mount with for my velocity stack. I found an air filter for a window shaker unit that is this mesh metal. Dellorto actually uses this stuff for some of their air filters so for $5 bucks I bought the one for the window shaker. On the plumbing aisle I found a drop in sink screen/cup that is the prefect dia to sit on the lip of the carb which would also serve as a hold down for the stack (I wrapped the filter material over the sink strainer):

All I need to do is drill a hole in the center and use the existing threaded hole in the carb body to screw down the element which sandwiches the stack

I saw some other stuff that might look neater (to me anyway) and theoretically allow more airflow than this, I dunno if that really needed though in this case, that I think I can make work after messing with this so I may pick it up when I am out and about and play with that and do some comparisons.

working on my rear wheel right now and making some spacers for it to line up the sprockets, dunno if I will get it done or not, we bought a New vehicle last night. I have it for the day to play with before my wife takes it away from me forever, so I'm gonna take it out and drive it while I can :laugh:

gbabins1

thanks everyone, its getting there! Greg, yes that little 3hp shined up nicely I'm glad to hear you guys are riding up there, your new house/Neighborhood looked pretty fancy schmancy, I figured you guys were done for far as riding goes :laugh:

Yeah I though we would have to take everything to a buddy's property to ride. But then I thought, hell, there's a lot of woods behind our place. So we cut some paths until we hit a pretty good size clearing. There's even some nice sized lakes back there, complete with gators and fish :thumbsup: We have some pretty close bar banging racing going on a couple times a week back there :scooter::hammer:

markus

so couple of people have texted and PM'ed me asking where the velocity stack came from, so instead of replying multiple times I'll just post it here.

I was Cruising the Grocery store checking out MILF's and spotted it there on an endcap with some kitchenware. It is actually a Condiment/dipping sauce cup :thumbsup: this particualar one I had cut most of the bottom out of and started to modify it to fit an Azusa stack that I bought in a parts deal that had been cut down seen here:
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/88399-stacked.html

turns out it as you can see fits the briggs carb hole pretty good :thumbsup: The bottom is cut out just about to the edge but enough to leave lip so the "air cleaner" will serve as both and air cleaner and mount for the stack.

Last edited:

markus

well its not my dream exhaust but its something :shrug: with a little grinding of the seam in the stock hot dog muff I was able to slip it into this exhaust tip that actually intended to repalce the "peashooters" on a stock aircooled VW muffler, so it does not make any more noise than stock muff....to bad I could not recreate the famous VW "fweem" sound though :smile:

I still have not tackled installing the Jeff Clark repro Mickey guard yet...been out riding it all over though and flinging grease all over it :laugh: the guard has alot of pinholes in the casting so I don't know what I am going to do yet, maybe just a rougher finish on the overall guard with the "mickey bike" letters polished or something, need to make the brackets too.

markus

Thanks guys/gals :thumbsup: Oh Karen your present arrived today THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! But you know Know I have to try and find a lil indian to put it on :laugh:

well its not my dream exhaust but its something :shrug: with a little grinding of the seam in the stock hot dog muff I was able to slip it into this exhaust tip that actually intended to repalce the "peashooters" on a stock aircooled VW muffler, so it does not make any more noise than stock muff....to bad I could not recreate the famous VW "fweem" sound though :smile:

I still have not tackled installing the Jeff Clark repro Mickey guard yet...been out riding it all over though and flinging grease all over it :laugh: the guard has alot of pinholes in the casting so I don't know what I am going to do yet, maybe just a rougher finish on the overall guard with the "mickey bike" letters polished or something, need to make the brackets too.
Just Awesome....is all I can say !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

markus

So instead of doing stuff like....finish the engine Ive been looking for "accessories":doah: I thought it would be kinda cool to have a helmet and goggles to go along with the bike...At first I was thinking of doing one the same color as the bike, but then I got to thinking just do it up more like the one off the image, which was just a white helmet and of course the goggles. I had a collector come to the house and buy all my metalflake helmets except for one (I hid it :laugh:) I was just going to paint one of the more trashed ones, but he made me to good of an offer on all them. So that left me with only one helmet thats too nice to repaint, and a late 60's Yamaha that I could have done, but its a children's size

So I have been kind looking for just a plain 'ol white helmet on the cheap that would fit my noggin'. I finally found one on ebay for thats clean and was only like 22 shipped.
It just came in today.

View attachment 66317

Now I have to hunt for more correct goggles......In my searching it looks like He was using surplus WWII goggles

(incidently the image on the mickey bike decal is this iconic image from the challenger I runs...only black/white drawn image)
View attachment 66318

I can find the goggles...only problem, they are REALLY EXPENSIVE!!!! so I dunno how bad I want the actual right now :anon.sml: I found some pretty cheap goggles that look a little better than the chinsy ones I have so I'll probably just buy them to get me by.

I also finally found the correct humped top handlebar clamps :thumbsup: Only cost me a little over $200 as I had to buy an entire bike to get them! Just blasted them and will start smoothing and polishing them up soon.

View attachment 66319
Very excited as I finally found an affordable and pretty good Match to Mickey's racing goggles like he used back in the day and is seen on the image KOL used for the forkplate decal :freakout:

These are pretty close, They are from the same era and USA made too so thats a bonus. I would say the racers used Military surplus AN-6530 back then, and I'm sure they were cheap at the time, thats not the case anymore. a set that needs totally rebuilt would still have cost easily 5 to 6 times as much as what I won this NOS set of sportsman versions for, was under $26 shipped, I think the fact that they listed them as googles not goggles helped a little :laugh:

This should light the fire under my ass to head down to the sign shop and bring them my 2nd corrected version the forkplate decal to have remade and also have them make me "Thompson" to go across the front for the helmet like Mr. T has on his.

Also, The bike is getting a revamp before it ever technically got 100% completed :eek:ut: The 3 horse is gone, I am building some others and sold it off to get some $$ to put toward the parts needed for rebuilds, Was just going to do another 3 for it but I stuck a complete 4hp I have in it and now looking a the bigger engine in the completed bike, I like it better than I did when I was putting the bike together. The 4 is the original from my Fox Campus it was just loose and complete to test fit so its out, but I have a 5 I was starting to rebuild to sell that will go into this bike instead :thumbsup: Gotta totally rethink and exhaust again though :doah:

Last edited: