Early 69 El-Tigre (Non Bird)

1stlegendtx

This is my 1969 JCPenney El-Tigre. They only sold this version of the El-Tigre for half a year than changed suppliers (switched to Bird) in late 69. As you can see in the pictures it has some things wrong with it. I am struggling with weather its better to leave it original or do things like paint the engine recover the seat etc. So far all I have done is replace the clutch brake and guard and replace the pipe extension (new chain to). Everything else is original. So should I leave it as is or what ? Thanks

Not to burst your bubble but the best thing to do with that bike is to give it to me. And I will decided how to dispose of it.
:scooter:
But if you don't like my idea and you decided to keep it I would advise you to just leave it alone. It look fine just the way it is.:thumbsup:
That thing sure is shinny, did you Armor-All it?

1stlegendtx

Thanks. When I cleaned it up I used armor all on the seat only. I used chrome polish on the frame and Tomsprops method for the engine.

Thanks. When I cleaned it up I used armor all on the seat only. I used chrome polish on the frame and Tomsprops method for the engine.
LOL, Is it lemony fresh?
I guess that means you did not like my idea?
:thumbsup:
That is a sweet bike!

We need to compile a list of the untouched bikes. It would be nice if hent could make an area to submit them to.

Last edited:
I just can't get over your bike. That is nice. Man, when you have something like that your in a class of your own. There is no way in my opinion of recreating that.

You should be very proud of it.

1stlegendtx

LOL, Is it lemony fresh?
I guess that means you did not like my idea?
:thumbsup:
That is a sweet bike!

We need to compile a list of the untouched bikes. It would be nice if hent could make an area to submit them to.
I like original stuff to. I am the guy that voted for your Dad's Wards bike (MOTM). I wish Hent would add a JCPenney area to the photos list. Thanks for the complements.:thumbsup: The engine IS lemon fresh!

Last edited:
Nice bike. :thumbsup: I'd leave it be and show it's scares with pride (it's called character)

Not sure that engines is stock, shouldn't it be a Tecumseh?

1stlegendtx

Nice bike. :thumbsup: I'd leave it be and show it's scares with pride (it's called character)

Not sure that engines is stock, shouldn't it be a Tecumseh?
The picture in the Catalog shows a 3hp Briggs with the Briggs sticker in the front which I think is unusual but the same as mine. I know the picture is not very focused but that's the best our camera can do.
:thumbsup: Thanks

Dose everyone know why they phased out the Briggs and went to tecs? If you really know the answer just respond yes. I would like to see what peoples guesses are!
This could be fun. My guess is only a handful know why???????? But I could be wrong......
Hint, It was all distributors, not just Penny's........

1stlegendtx

Dose everyone know why they phased out the Briggs and went to tecs? If you really know the answer just respond yes. I would like to see what peoples guesses are!
This could be fun. My guess is only a handful know why???????? But I could be wrong......
Hint, It was all distributors, not just Penny's........
I think what ever the reason was it probably all came down to $.:doah:

1stlegendtx

That is nice. Here's an ad Mac posted a while back. Looks like the same bike as the All American with a different clutch cover.
There is a manufacturer I.D. plate on the frame in front of the engine and I think it says that American Aluminum made it. I wish I could find an original clutch cover. Thanks

1stlegendtx

Cool, all the pic's I saw had Tec's. My atlas was the same, all pic's showed Tec's but they also came with Briggs.

Hows it ride?
OK, we just came in from riding it. I had my youngest son take it for a spin and he said that its a little weired having his feet out in front of him. He was a little sceptical of the scrub brake ( he has never ridden a small wheel vintage Mini Bike before) but he loved it. He said it was "a lot more comfortable than he thought it would be especially over the curbs. I was worried because all I've read about is how the chain won't stay on these thing's. I spent some extra time making sure the sprockets lined up perfectly so the chain was fine. The only thing negative he had to say was that its really slow compared to the Kawasaki KV75 we have. It was great seeing one of my kids ridding a bike that I had wanted when I was a kid.:thumbsup:

There's a local guy that has one and it was the kids favorite, I was worried about the rear being sloppy since it's just shocks. You could do a bolt on chain roller if theres any problems. :thumbsup: