Any tell tale signs which engine was on a bonanza scout chopper.

I have a cr500 chopper minibike. Is there a tell tale sign (possibly an extra welded bracket) to determine if the bike was originally fitted with the tecumseh engine or the hodaka engine ? Thanks in advance Mchadsey1

Bird Brain

If it still has the original paint or at least old paint close to original period would you be able to see any heat cracking or cooked paint in the front foot peg tube area from a front engine exhaust pipe used on the Hodaka? Or any in the rear tube area from the Tecumseh?Something you might be able to tell from possibly. Or extra rust in those exhaust areas maybe. A descent sn#or model# check of course would be best if thats available. Good luck with trying to figure it out.

If it still has the original paint or at least old paint close to original period would you be able to see any heat cracking or cooked paint in the front foot peg tube area from a front engine exhaust pipe used on the Hodaka? Or any in the rear tube area from the Tecumseh?Something you might be able to tell from possibly. Or extra rust in those exhaust areas maybe. A descent sn#or model# check of course would be best if thats available. Good luck with trying to figure it out.
Any idea where bonanza would have stamped #'s on the frame ?

Bird Brain

Nothing certain for your model sorry but i have seen some other members here talk on the subject. Some model bikes are on the forks and some on a tag on the front lip area of the engine mount plate. If you do find any surely someone might know something. Unless Mr. Superflea is correct :rolleyes:

If you had a hodaka your frame should have damage where the kicker hit….not serious damage but you’ll know it when you see it….also motor rail marks unless it’s been repainted…. Just my opinion….

I should add I’m not sure when hodaka came out with the spacer kit so it may have been installed before it was ever kicked…Again my opinion…

Nothing certain for your model sorry but i have seen some other members here talk on the subject. Some model bikes are on the forks and some on a tag on the front lip area of the engine mount plate. If you do find any surely someone might know something. Unless Mr. Superflea is correct :rolleyes:
Looks like im out of luck this is an earlier unit that had the flat engine plate not the flanged front and the scout choppers didnt have a badge on the front forks.

If I am not mistaken the CR500 is the hodaka version and the CR400 would be Tecumseh. So why do you think it is the 500 version?
I thought the difference between the cr 500 and the cr400 was the jackshaft. Mine has the mounts for the jackshaft. Thats why i believe its the cr500.

markus

I thought the difference between the cr 500 and the cr400 was the jackshaft. Mine has the mounts for the jackshaft. Thats why i believe its the cr500.
No, the first 1969 model version (listed as C-400 in their 1969 parts lists) was non jackshaft, had a different engine plate and non adjustable rear wheel setup, going into 1970 the frames were changed and got the standard JS plates, standard BC style engine mounts, adjustable rear wheel slots etc.. CR 500 was a designation for the Hodaka powered version, but there was not a difference in the frames