“Highway” Christmas Gift

Can’t count the numerous items I’ve collected through the years that have obviously popped outta’ the back of pickups and come to rest on or near the road. Christmas Day was no exception.
Not sure what it is about spotting an item on the road that I know has ZERO cost attached to it. The “Is that what I think it is?”, is nine times outta’ ten followed by an immediate 180.
HIGHWAY gifts should in no way be confused w/ INTERSTATE gifts, as there are an entire set of defining circumstances that differentiate the two....

A. Where did the item finally come to rest? Accessibility
B. How much traffic will I need to circumnavigate to ascertain said item? Risk vs Reward
C. What intrinsic value does the item have? $$$
D. Impact damage as it relates to value. % of Lost Value
E. Rate of speed @ which item was ejected. Highway vs Interstate

Need I mention the obvious... the HIGHWAY gift, or the “Is that what I think it is?” instantaneously becomes the INTERSTATE gift, or “Is that what I thought it was?” when the variable of speed is factored into the equation. Einstein briefly touched on this in his theory on relativity.
These five basic questions and answers, along w/ several other hypothetical variables have to be analyzed within micro seconds before a timely “gift response” can be acted upon.

So a heartfelt “Thank You” to all you pickup owners who are either in too big of a rush or just plain don’t give ah shit. We appreciate your lack of concern for securing all the miscellaneous hand tools, socket sets, drills, circular saws, gas cans, bungee cords, frisbees, and other items that you’ve donated thru the years.

Attachments

Can’t count the numerous items I’ve collected through the years that have obviously popped outta’ the back of pickups and come to rest on or near the road. Christmas Day was no exception.
Not sure what it is about spotting an item on the road that I know has ZERO cost attached to it. The “Is that what I think it is?”, is nine times outta’ ten followed by an immediate 180.
HIGHWAY gifts should in no way be confused w/ INTERSTATE gifts, as there are an entire set of defining circumstances that differentiate the two....

A. Where did the item finally come to rest? Accessibility
B. How much traffic will I need to circumnavigate to ascertain said item? Risk vs Reward
C. What intrinsic value does the item have? $$$
D. Impact damage as it relates to value. % of Lost Value
E. Rate of speed @ which item was ejected. Highway vs Interstate

Need I mention the obvious... the HIGHWAY gift, or the “Is that what I think it is?” instantaneously becomes the INTERSTATE gift, or “Is that what I thought it was?” when the variable of speed is factored into the equation. Einstein briefly touched on this in his theory on relativity.
These five basic questions and answers, along w/ several other hypothetical variables have to be analyzed within micro seconds before a timely “gift response” can be acted upon.

So a heartfelt “Thank You” to all you pickup owners who are either in too big of a rush or just plain don’t give ah shit. We appreciate your lack of concern for securing all the miscellaneous hand tools, socket sets, drills, circular saws, gas cans, bungee cords, frisbees, and other items that you’ve donated thru the years.
and to think that a member on this forum some time ago accused me of being a “spoiled kid” because I was fortunate enough to have owned a Cat 400x when I was 12yrs old. Last time I checked, spoiled kids didn’t stop to pick up highway gifts, they could afford to buy them new off the shelf.

My wife no longer says "Your blinker is on, Dear" while we are on divided highways. She has learned that the left blinker means I am waiting for a place to cross the median to go verify what I thought I saw 3 miles behind us. When the blinker comes on she just sighs and our son (10) in the back of the van snaps his head toward the back window to see what Daddy found.
I do not know if it came out of a truck or off the back of a new boat, but about three years ago, I found a new 15 horse Yamaha outboard motor.
Still had the tags and the owner's manual under the hood.
Around here, flotation devices are pretty common.

Last edited:
A gal I used to work with told me she and the family were heading down the highway and spotted a backpack laying the road. Picturing a bounty of cash or some other valuable they whipped a Uie and went back. She jumps out and retrieves the bag. In the car, they anxiously open up the pack only to find someone barfed in it. I had a good laugh at that one.

Not always, I guess it's been about 4 years ago now. A guy I work with had a 1 inch open/ boxed end wrench go thu his windshield and stick in his passenger seat on I75, fortunately it was 5am and he was by himself.
That would be the topic of an entirely new thread…Airborne Interstate Near Misses. I’ve had several extremely close calls myself thru the years. A hood popped up & detached off a vehicle 2 cars in front of me, hammer lane, I-75 just South of Dayton Ohio years ago. It’s amazing how far an automobile hood will travel @ 77mph. Over the vehicle in front of me, and the vehicle I was driving just squeaking in underneath it b4 it bounced off the asphalt on one corner and then barrel rolled into the center median.
A few years b4 that on I-71 North of Columbus I witnessed a vehicle on opposing Southbound side lose a rear wheel which seemed to be possessed. It traversed a 50yd wide median and crossed 3 lanes of North bound traffic, again thank God, coming to rest in the far East median w/ no one struck.