110v Welding Equip?

I used to have the ideal welding setup, my best buddy, brother and shooting partner. Cancer is a miserable :censure::censure::censure:disease.

Well he passed a while back:sadcrying4: and I am without him and his welding now.

He was a welder/fitter by trade and could weld anything. Crack of your a$$, broken heart, paper........... and all the other trade jokes........:wink:

So... now I need something for light stuff around the house.
I don't have 220 at the house. He had a little flux core 110v that he used on exhaust and small stuff that he did an excellent job with, although it was probably 90% operator.

Not having the skills he had I would like to have something like it or possibly a 110v stick welder.
I have never seen a 110v stick welder operate and have no idea if they are capable of good solid welds.

Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated, unemployment does not buy top of the line equip, I just need something to keep me out of trouble
(kinda how I got into a mini).:doah:

Thanks for any suggestions:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
The problem with 110 is your output amps are so limited that the wire/electrode is very small, and welding with a 3/32 stick is challenging to say the least. A small wire feed innershield or mig, would be your best bet.

DaddyK

I think harbor freight makes a small unit. I don't think I expect much out of it though. I have a 110volt wire welder I am trying to sell to bad you are not a little closer. I moved up to the big blue for MIG and TIG and traded two sets of golf clubs for a gas powered lincoln ranger 250 and a new rigid gas powered (13hp Honda engine) with a 30 gallon tank. The contractor hated the stick welder when he changed to Miller and the compressor he was told to haul off by the manufacture they (yes there were two) were ran 12 hours as demos and wrapped in shrink wrap mine had a slight leak at the manifold. The junk I haul home LOL

rudedog

A 110 mig is fine for mini bike stuff, hell, I'm doing roll bar and all kinds of other stuff with mine. I went with a Lincoln weld-pak 3200HD. You can get Hobart from Northern tool. If you're looking for deals, Craigslist and Ebay are great. I got mine off Ebay NEW for right at $450. It came with the hose to run gas and 2 small rolls of wire (1-flux core, 1-solid for gas) as well as a hand-held face shield.......you WILL want a full mask.

These links are some stuff I've done.
DoodleBug trike conversion
24 hours of lemons race-car(page 3)

I would agree with everyone else get a mig welder and use the gas and solid core wire with in it. The welds are so much nicer than stick welders. I'm not a welder just learned to weld for my own use at home. I have a Lincoln 110 volt Mig welder I thinks its the 100 or 135 model and it works out good for the minibikes and most the stuff I do at home too. I run .035 wire with gas 75/25.

125ccCrazy

I have a 110v Clarke mig welder I bought in 92, I've used the pizz out of it from sheet metal to 3/8" steel plate.... I love this thing, I'd be lost without it...

For the welding you'd do on mini-bike projects, I can't tell you how awesome a Lincoln SP-135T would be!

I bought mine off eBay brand new probably 5 years ago now and love the thing. I've only been using it with flux-core wire so far, but it comes with all the accessories to be able to hook up to solid core wire with shielding gas. I've welded up a welding cart, made a 15' tall tripod stand for deer hunting, made a custom brake bracket for an off-road utility Pug from the 60's, and other miscellaneous projects.

Nothing like mending metal together with fire!

-Steve

klapool

My wonderful wife bought me a Crafstman 110v flux core (gasless) wire feed welder.

Craftsman Wire Feed Welder, Gasless

So what can such a welder do???

Here is a bike stand I built to hold my Honda VTX 1300. (Weight 680 pounds, stripped, but i have many mods on it including a 80 pound hitch) Also it holds my wife Harley Heritage Softail. (Weight 820pounds)

here is the mod of my bike stand with pics of the VTX on it.

Cheapskate Riders Board :: View topic - Bike stand

I would never question the strength of the welds it makes.

And as a cheapskate, I can buy flux core welding wire from Harbor Freight for about $15.00

I have a Lincoln,SP-100 MIG 110v welder from 1993. And it a lot bigger than that one. It has worked great for everything I need to weld on my bikes. I have seen those at Home Depot, I would think it would be a good welder, It made by Lincoln. Check around at your local welder supply store and ask them before buying they may have something in that price range that might be better.

My wonderful wife bought me a Crafstman 110v flux core (gasless) wire feed welder.

Craftsman Wire Feed Welder, Gasless WE20568

So what can such a welder do???

Here is a bike stand I built to hold my Honda VTX 1300. (Weight 680 pounds, stripped, but i have many mods on it including a 80 pound hitch) Also it holds my wife Harley Heritage Softail. (Weight 820pounds)

here is the mod of my bike stand with pics of the VTX on it.

Cheapskate Riders Board :: View topic - Bike stand

I would never question the strength of the welds it makes.

And as a cheapskate, I can buy flux core welding wire from Harbor Freight for about $15.00
The link to the craftsman welder had been moved so the new link is in the quote

There are lots of variables when you are welding. Don't buy some junk that will never work right. Bought a Miller 13 years ago and never looked back. Probably cost double what a junker would run you but after all of these years still works like new.

I have the Hobart 130 and it is a lot better than the Lincoln 100 I had before , I have built motorcycles with it and no problems at all , I run Flux Core wire so you can weld thicker material and it will run the bead deeper also , Even when I crashed on my bike awhile ago ,, none of my welds broke on the bike ,, just my leg ,, LOL :) :thumbsup:

I have the Hobart 130 and it is a lot better than the Lincoln 100 I had before , I have built motorcycles with it and no problems at all , I run Flux Core wire so you can weld thicker material and it will run the bead deeper also , Even when I crashed on my bike awhile ago ,, none of my welds broke on the bike ,, just my leg ,, LOL :) :thumbsup:
Thanks. That helps make my mind up. I will pick the 140 up and see if I can't get a bender too. Got projects to finish and the stick welder is just too big for the little stuff. I have a smaller Clarke stick welder "95E". It does OK but the rods for it are pricey. I used to buy the Harbor frieght rods and they sucked, all slag and no metal lol. I couldnt figure out what was going on. I would weld and re-weld and decided to try a quality rod. That fixed it!!!!!

Personal myself those are the same as stuff from Harbor freight. Clarke stuff Junk, There Warehouse here in Toledo full of return junk. I dealt with there big boss here in Toledo for work and he's a Major a**hole. I would buy anything from them. There a bunch a cheap junk dealers.