15 Tilly carbs WITH shop manual, now what??

oldsledz

Most Tilly's have a built in fuel pump but need vacuum to work, some have a fitting for a vacuum line and some have a small hole in the mounting flange I this kind will only work on a 2 stroke engine and only then if the engine has the matching hole.

Back in the 60s they ran HL carbs on snowmobile engines up to 250cc making 10 HP so I don't see why they would be too small for a 5hp Briggs.

List any of the you can't find in your manual and i will see if they are in the one I have.

Do you have an HC tillys?

Uhhh I might.. I have another bucket full of them somewhere.. :doah:

I do have an adapter plate with holes bored to feed vaccum into the face of the carb if need be.. The carb did seam to work very well as it was setup, just wouldn't deliver enough high speed fuel.. :shrug:

I could start it easily, and would idle great for years, and tried to accelerate.. I could richen and lean out both screws just like they are supposed too.. Except the high fuel would go , richer, richer, richer, almost there, screw fell out... :lol:

So I don't know... :doah:

The carbs I have interest in, but no info on, for now is..

HL 36 E
HL 134 A
HL 263 A
HL 270 A

Thats why I gotta figure out whats the story with them..My only 3 horse is a short cranker.. I got one at the junkyard I gotta get, then tweak it, then start bolting on carbs and see what they do I guess.. :laugh:

They might all get junked.. :lol:

I'm pretty sure this one off my saw would work pretty great on a 3 horse.. Just no way to bolt the carb to my back tire via Briggs 127CC flathead right now without changing my current drive lines in my bikes.. :censure:

And no, that was not my problem.. The carburetor started and ran and idled like a dream.. It was just slightly too lean for best performance under a load..

every one elses Tilly works on a 5 horse, and I have pulled dozens off two strokes that have a standard Tec style intake manifold.. :shrug: It's something to do with mapping the fuel pull throughout the amount of vaccum you're getting I think..

Last edited:

gbones

well let me know when you know for sure and we can do some wheeling and dealing. but untill then maybe i will send you my 3hp tec carb to do your magic:thumbsup:, but that tilly would look purdy on my birdy

oh ya, what about the tilly godfather, the mighty KORNDOG. korndog whats your opinion on this tilly???

well let me know when you know for sure and we can do some wheeling and dealing. but untill then maybe i will send you my 3hp tec carb to do your magic:thumbsup:, but that tilly would look purdy on my birdy
Looks don't make em go.. :lol:

Yeah, the whole project came about because someone asked about one for a 3 horse.. I gotta figure it out anyways..

No, it's the way the motor works.. The two cycle engines pull more air being they work every stroke, and are high strung as hell.. I think it's the fact the engine is vacuuming as hard, results in less pull on the fuel.. :hammer: It should work fine on the 3 horse motors from what I found playing with the 5 horse..

oops...

:lol: I didn't totally forget ya Gbones..:lol: I did rig that thing back up and threw it on a %100 untouched older 5 horse thinking it might make just enough difference.. :shrug:

But I rigged up a Tecumseh H 60 intake in front of the carb with a notch to feed the vacuum for the fuel pump.. Now it runs like a son of a bitch running and going but it won't idle because it's dumping gas out of it.. :doah:

And I got tired of :censure:ing with them.. :lol: Sooo there it sits.. :lol:

Oh... and I looked up that carb for whoever it was.. It's 3/4 venturi and designed for Solo... :shrug: Makers of the Solex??? :shrug: No idea... :lol: